Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing 2nd Row Seats to folders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MDR SEA

15 MS 85D, 16 MX 90D, 23 MY, Retired ICE Wrench
Dec 29, 2016
Pac NW
Hello all,
We own a 2016 Model X 90D with the ridiculous, useless, space wasting 6 seat configuration.
I can fit more stuff in my MS!

As luck has it I was able to snag a set of fold down seats from a 5 seat config in the same color.
Being of the mind that anything is possible, I WILL get these seats to work in our X.

Has anyone tried to do this?
I understand that there will be a requisite software "adjustment" and clearance issues with the 3rd row seats.

Thanks for any input.
I'll post updates as I proceed.

MDR

I know exactly the OP motivation for this, as I've had both cars. I'm a skier & mountain biker with a dog, so my 5-seater has been a dream. I only had to carry 7 people once in 2.5yrs, and did it for a short ride only.
There's an additional luggage compartment in the native 5-seater that you will not likely be able to employ.
Keep going, and I hope you get support on the Tesla software "adjustment" for anything that comes up.
If you can keep your 6-seat AC (front & back controllable) setup, you've added value, but there are air management hardware & plumbing issues written about in other threads you should check.

Frankly, replacing the second row is not a trivial matter. The mounting patterns and mechanics are totally different. While the 5 and 7 seat second rows both fold flat, only the 7 seat configuration has the ability to slide forward and back to allow access to the back row (on rails that are completely different than what the 6 seater uses). The 5 seat second row is usually bolted into place farther back to maximize second row leg room, which may not be possible with the third row in place. I'd look into an experienced Tesla mod shop, or better yet just do a trade-in for a Model X with folding seats.

Frankly, replacing the second row is not a trivial matter. The mounting patterns and mechanics are totally different. While the 5 and 7 seat second rows both fold flat, only the 7 seat configuration has the ability to slide forward and back to allow access to the back row (on rails that are completely different than what the 6 seater uses). The 5 seat second row is usually bolted into place farther back to maximize second row leg room, which may not be possible with the third row in place. I'd look into an experienced Tesla mod shop, or better yet just do a trade-in for a Model X with folding seats.

Thanks for the feedback.
Sounds like you have some experience with this. .
Unfortunately trade in is not an option.

You will most likely compromise the safety of your passengers in the event of an accident. It will most likely be impossible to mount the folders properly in your car since it wasn't made for that type of seat.

No offense, but you don't know what you're talking about.
Seat mounts are identical so safety is not the issue.
The greatest hurdle (as usual w/Tesla) is the software and warranty.

Love the product.
The customer service....not so much.

So I pulled up some images for reference. Hopefully the five seat config you can figure out the mounting points for the 4 stands. Good luck.

model-x-5-seat-1.png

2016-Tesla-Model-X-P90D-swivel-seats.jpg

Also interested in hearing the results for this.

Looking at the Rich Restorations video, I'm curious about the rails that the rear seats are obviously bolted to - these could EASILY be a non-sliding version of what the pedestals attach to. That's very very interesting. Which means MAYBE if we keep the pedestals, the top of the pedestal and the bottom of the folding seat can be made to like each other. Then it is all about the electronics modules and maybe just leaving them under the floor.

hmmmm..... I know Tesla loves reinventing the wheel, but auto manufacturers are CHEAP. If they can avoid redesigning a part, then they can use it in multiple configurations which means cheaper for them. The design of a seat WILL have certain basic similarities, b/c everyone has an arse that needs to be parked and secured. Hopefully we can work with that.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I left the X with my ex before I had the chance to do the work....
The floor mount plate bolt patterns are identical. All the variations for pedestal, 5 seat, 7 seat are above the plate mounts.
MDR

Unfortunately I left the X with my ex before I had the chance to do the work....
The floor mount plate bolt patterns are identical. All the variations for pedestal, 5 seat, 7 seat are above the plate mounts.
MDR
No they are not. I got the sliding rails with the folding 7 seat set, which SHOULD have bolted right down if what you said is accurate. I could set the seat onto the outboard set of holes, and get the front, the front outboard, and the rear outboard to line up on the outboard rail… But NOT ANY OTHERS b/c the positions were different. A couple were half out of the holes, showing that the rails were different too - but the main issue was the difference between the outboard and inboard leg points.

It’s OK, that was not a huge thing to resolve. The “seat unlatched” error is more annoying. It also appears that it may have been caused by touching the motor switch on the screen, as I just discovered that the 60% seat slide is unlatched / held open, and definitely that was not like that before. It’s interesting that the 40% seat got stuck half folded, but the 60 is stuck with the bottom held. Hopefully I can disable this one without removing from the car, it was a royal pain to do the smaller one.