Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing Charge Source & Plug

asolof

Sep 26, 2020
New Jersey
I currently have the Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector wired to a 60 amp circuit and my max charge rate set to 48 amps.

I have never used my mobile connector and I want to try/test it just to verify it is working in case I ever need it.

Do I have to set the new charge rate to 12 amps, or will the car do that automatically?
If it does it automatically, will it automatically revert back to 48 amps if I next plug in the Tesla wall connector?

I assume the car is aware of the 110-120 Volt source, but can it automatically tell the difference between a 15 amp and 20 amp 110-120 volt circuit without me inputting the specific amps?

spokey

Aug 8, 2020
Flagtown
I started with and still use the mobile connector except for two times using a ChargePoint L2 for around an hour each. I went about 2 months on 120V before getting a 240V / 50A outlet installed. I never did anything. On 120V it uses around 12A charges at 4-5. On 240/50A it automatically uses 30A for about 30mph.

frankvb

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Feb 29, 2020
San Diego, CA
The mobile connector uses its plug adapter to figure out the max current on the circuit. E.g. if you use a 5-15 adapter it will limit current to 12A (80% of 15A). It just tells the car to limit charging current to that. If you plug in the wall connector it will go back to 48A (or whatever that one can do).

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC