Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing Color Updates Quote

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Saw a few threads on this already, but not sure if still active or up-to-date with the current Tesla ordering process.

I registered for a long-range black M3 a month ago, and delayed delivery until now. I received the registration number, but have yet to receive VIN number for the car, which I assumed means that they haven't matched me with one yet. After further inspection at black M3 (and other colors), black M3 does not appeal to me at all now for some reason... I would like to change to red.

The problem is, the current price of a red long-range M3 is 50,490 with no other added configs. I registered the LR black M3 back when the total was 48,490. Although I don't mind the price, I would like to get the incentive for vehicles under 50k. Was wondering if anyone had experience changing color without updating the quote. Also, if updating the quote, is there a way for them to keep it under 50k? Wouldn't mind paying on the side.

I heard different stories from other forums, such as updating color is $500 extra (in 2018) or that they would honor the price increase and not increase your price when registered (in 2020).

Just wondering if anyone has experience changing color after registering in 2021. Specifically, I'm at the stage where I can input my insurance (which I can't yet, since I don't have the VIN number).

Note: contacted my advisor to no prevails. He said it's not up to him, and configuring the color will automatically update the quote.
Also contacted a rep. He suggests I go to a tesla body shop after receiving the car... Not helpful so far, and was considering canceling the order until the price goes back down a bit.

Would greatly appreciate any help here. Anything helps in terms of your experience with these situations.

Reconfiguring anything on the vehicle after initial reservation will update price as well--states it pretty clearly on the website as well as the order information itself. Basically you can either live with black (and possibly wrap later) or....pay the extra for the increased paint cost as well as the additional price bumps that have happened since your initial reservation time. You said you contacted your advisor to no "prevails"--not sure what else you want because they aren't able to do anything at this point.

The reason why what you want can't be done is that Telsa builds to order. If they already built your car, it is already black. So if you want a color change or any other change of config, they need to build you another car with that config which costs the new costs while they send your black car to another customer.

What I heard could be done is when your local SC has another car available with the config you desired (i.e. if someone else ordered a red car and now wants it black) and they can be matched at the store on the spot "behind the scenes". However currently, demand is so high that there aren't any such cars available. Furthermore, say Tesla lost your sale as a result of you not being able to get what you want, they still get to sell that car because demand is so high. Two quarters ago, this might have been workable but now is a seller's market.

Reconfiguring anything on the vehicle after initial reservation will update price as well--states it pretty clearly on the website as well as the order information itself. Basically you can either live with black (and possibly wrap later) or....pay the extra for the increased paint cost as well as the additional price bumps that have happened since your initial reservation time. You said you contacted your advisor to no "prevails"--not sure what else you want because they aren't able to do anything at this point.
The reason why what you want can't be done is that Telsa builds to order. If they already built your car, it is already black. So if you want a color change or any other change of config, they need to build you another car with that config which costs the new costs while they send your black car to another customer.

What I heard could be done is when your local SC has another car available with the config you desired (i.e. if someone else ordered a red car and now wants it black) and they can be matched at the store on the spot "behind the scenes". However currently, demand is so high that there aren't any such cars available. Furthermore, say Tesla lost your sale as a result of you not being able to get what you want, they still get to sell that car because demand is so high. Two quarters ago, this might have been workable but now is a seller's market.
I see, thanks for your guys' response!

The reason why what you want can't be done is that Telsa builds to order.
Actually this may be the reason you have a chance of making the change. Tesla absolutely does NOT build to order, they just shift the production ratios of red/black/LR/P/etc. to approximately mimic the ratios of current orders. That's why they don't give you a VIN or delivery date, they just "match" you with a VIN when your spot in line comes up.

So your SA should be able/willing to match you with a different color VIN and simply adjust the pricing based on your original contract date. They do this all the time and they even offered it to me when I didn't find a match in my quarter they offered to match me with another color. It will take some effort on your part though, you'll need to keep an eye on the Tesla inventory page and let your SA know when you spot one you like. There's nothing there now because they aren't delivering in the US until the end of June but you'll see lots of cars appearing there in about a month.

Actually this may be the reason you have a chance of making the change. Tesla absolutely does NOT build to order, they just shift the production ratios of red/black/LR/P/etc. to approximately mimic the ratios of current orders. That's why they don't give you a VIN or delivery date, they just "match" you with a VIN when your spot in line comes up.

So your SA should be able/willing to match you with a different color VIN and simply adjust the pricing based on your original contract date. They do this all the time and they even offered it to me when I didn't find a match in my quarter they offered to match me with another color. It will take some effort on your part though, you'll need to keep an eye on the Tesla inventory page and let your SA know when you spot one you like. There's nothing there now because they aren't delivering in the US until the end of June but you'll see lots of cars appearing there in about a month.
Very useful information, thanks! It is currently estimated to be June 13-30th for me, so hopefully, I can find a way to squeeze the request in... If those appear at the end of June then might be a bit tight.

No. Like lots of nos. They did this all the time in ancient times when demand did not wildly outnumbered supply. As I mentioned it used to be possible but now is a seller’s market. That being said, it doesn’t hurt to ask. Worst case is another “no”.