Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing Drive Mode On The Fly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my 2008 Roadster it appears that I can't change the drive mode while driving? It seems that I have to stop the car and at least pull the emergency brake, is that correct? I rode in a roadster once, (don't know what model) and I thought the guy changed the drive mode while sitting at a light?

There are two ways in your 1.5 to change modes. Turning the key or better is to simply touch the green battery icon on your VDS. Each touch will cycle through Standard (default) Performance, and Range, back to Standard.

This was a free Firmware upgrade we got after about a year or so of ownership.

The functionality in the 2.5 is identical to vfx's description, by the way. It's not just for the 1.5.

Although I wonder why touching the battery icon on the VDS is considered "better"? I usually display the Wh/mile on the VDS, and when I'm going to need/want Performance mode for a little while when driving, I find it more convenient to just turn the key. That goes from Standard mode to Performance mode, and then toggles back to Standard mode if I do it again.

The functionality in the 2.5 is identical to vfx's description, by the way. It's not just for the 1.5.

Although I wonder why touching the battery icon on the VDS is considered "better"? ...

For a year or so the 1.5's only would work if the key was turned while the car was stopped with the handbrake pulled up. There was a workaround where you could pull up just one click on the handbrake while you were still moving and then turn the key to cycle though the modes, then release the brake. Once they sent the firmware to use the touch screen that became "easier".

So I'd have to "request" this special firmware for the key option that selects the drive modes? I have the latest VMS firmware, but I guess not the 'magic' firmware.

This upgrade for the 1.5s is years old now. There is no mention of it (of course) in the manual so are you sure you don't have it? Go for a drive and try.

I thought I had the latest VMS firmware from last when I checked 1 month ago, I'll correspond with Telsa so see how to get it. Thanks!

You can get the firmware version by downloading your log file and running it through VMS Parser. I'm at firmware version 4.6.5 for my Roadster 2.0.

VMS Log Parser for Tesla Roadster

The switch to Performance takes a second. Try turning the key all the way forward and holding it there briefly.

Held the key forward with car on and in drive (with e-brake pulled up and also released) for over 5 seconds, still no change. The way I change driving modes now is touching the battery icon on the VMS screen, which I don't like since its very awkward when driving.

My firmware is as follows:

Car Firmware: 3.6.7
VMS Firmware: 8.67.0

I thought the firmware deviated from the 1.5 vs. the 2.x's and not compatible.

How do you change driving modes now?

And this with the emergncy brake pulled up.

I don't know if the key turn works any more in my car. Once the firmware was installed I stopped using it (They both worked at that time). 1.5 and 2.9 are very different. Are you a 1.5?

VDS screen.

Will do, it possibly could have got knocked out of Tesla's source code "check-ins" for the updated Firmware since I've seen that happen (from working in software/embedded systems).

I see this feature as a safety enhancement really, its just way too tight of an area reaching between the door and steering wheel to do the selection change. The key side is way wide open and free.

May the disabled it along the way. A dozen firmwares since then. Let us know what you find out.