Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing email address for single Tesla when multiple vehicles associated with account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys - I haven't been able to get a straight/clear answer from Tesla so I wanted to see if anyone here has experience with this.

I have 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance and 2020 Tesla Model X Long Range. The Model X has free unlimited supercharging, which will not transfer to a new owner. Both vehicles are on MY Tesla account, which is of course linked to my address.

I am going through divorce now and want to move just the Tesla Model X to my ex-spouse's email address as if it is a simple email change rather than ownership change. However, I have no idea how to move just one car off of my account without it looking like it has been sold/transferred.

Any ideas?

If you will actually own the car after the divorce, just add your ex-spouse as an additional driver. If you won't own the car, then it's best to transfer ownership officially, even if you lose free supercharging. Tesla will eventually figure out that you don't own the car anymore and remove free supercharging, so it's best to be above board about it.

Note that if you add your ex-spouse as an additional driver, you will still be responsible for payments for anything associated with the car, since the additional driver doesn't have their own payment information.

Appreciate the reply - she is currently an additional driver on the vehicle already. She want's to be primary so she can see all the things the primary can (like charging stats) and probably so I don't have any control of the vehicle controls moving forward. I am trying to figure out if she can instead have her email as primary on a vehicle that is currently tied to my email address. Tesla CS hasn't been too helpful.

Do it the other way.
Change the name/address on your account to her email and name. You can just do this right on the Tesla site.
Now the Model X is under her account, with no change in ownership.
Then create an account for yourself
Then transfer the Model 3 to that account. Since the Model 3 has no benefits tied to an ownership change, this won't impact anything.
Then have her change the password on her account.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
In cases like this, it always helps to reframe the question in your mind.
Your question isn't "how do I transfer the Model X to a new account without Tesla knowing or caring?"

Your question is "How do I end up with my two cars on two accounts, without triggering the conditions that would cause the Model X to lose free charging?"

Then the only question is: Does Tesla let me change the name, address, email address, and password on an account whenever I want?
Yes they do.

gearcruncher, this is just what i'm trying to sort out and a great help, but i have a slightly different scenario that i need help with please.

My boss has just bought 2 new company cars and financed them so they are both partly owned by the finance company, meaning we cant just remove the cars from his app and transfer ownership.

If i change all the details on his app account to mine that sorts me out and my model Y but how do i then split the account / remove the model 3 so my colleague can pay for upgrading to premium subscription and charging himself and its not all coming out of our bosses account?

Tesla CS just keep sending me the same answer, to remove the car in the app but that doesnt work if money is still owed.

Reading all the various treads, I'm left believing its going to be the case that upgrades and charging payments will have to come out of my bosses account and we pay him back?, seeing as he's the primary account / owner.

Can't help there. None of that is familiar in the USA- Tesla doesn't know or care if you have a loan on the car, and the bank doesn't have your login information. In the USA we have titles to prove ownership, and the bank holds the title, but is not on the Tesla account.

In the USA you'd just go into your Tesla App on one of the cars and click change ownership. I'm still kind of at a loss why the finance company would care. This doesn't change legal ownership at all.

Or maybe you aren't aware you can just go into the app and transfer a car to a different account? The OP of this thread didn't want to do that because then Tesla would know and that would remove a benefit only the first owner got. But you don't have that to worry about.

How to:

I dont have an answer for this second question (from @kevinlz79 ) but perhaps when they said "my boss bought" they actually ment "my boss leased"?

If so, that would explain why the finance company cares because they (the finance company would own the vehicle in that instance).