Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing fluid in the Gear box , part or Model S drive train.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This video shows a technician saying that the gear box of the Roadster has oil in it and it needs to be changed every two years or so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggoi0OBhVSQ&feature=youtu.be

I was wondering if anyone heard of something like it for the Model S.

Once every two years seems close to the same interval for changing engine oil when using synthetic. My 5 series only needed it once every 1.5 years. If this is true, it puts a big damper on the idea that the model S does not require oil changes.

Transmission fluid is changed once every 10 years. My 5 series has 180k on it and i have never changed the Transmission fluid. (Transmission made by GM, BTW)

I may have to change my name from "no-longer-greasing-slide to hell", to "Sometimes greasing slide to hell", if this is true.

Perspective anyone?

Thanks.

What's really needed is some laboratory analysis of the fluid. Toyota says much the same thing for the Prius' transaxle, but laboratory analysis shows that you should change it at 5,000 miles and then every 40,000 miles as it loses a lot of lubrication qualities and gets contaminated with dust.

Reactions: cheshire cat
What's really needed is some laboratory analysis of the fluid. Toyota says much the same thing for the Prius' transaxle, but laboratory analysis shows that you should change it at 5,000 miles and then every 40,000 miles as it loses a lot of lubrication qualities and gets contaminated with dust.

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Now where can we get the spec for the oil in the MS? And where are the drain and check/fill plugs? I'd send some oil out for analysis in a month or two.

Reactions: gabeincal
image.jpg
Doug, please list the moving parts; I've been telling people it has six moving parts, I'd like to be able to tell them what they are.
Here is a pic from the roadster.

Bump. Ok, I am receiving mixed information on the type of oil that needs to be changed in the Model S & X motor gear boxes. Some say it is Dexron VI others say it is Mobil SHC 629 synthetic gear oil. The quantity is 1.4 quarts each but does anyone know which oil to use? My model X is coming up to the 12,500 mile change recommendation.

Bump. Ok, I am receiving mixed information on the type of oil that needs to be changed in the Model S & X motor gear boxes. Some say it is Dexron VI others say it is Mobil SHC 629 synthetic gear oil. The quantity is 1.4 quarts each but does anyone know which oil to use? My model X is coming up to the 12,500 mile change recommendation.
There is no "12,500 mile change recommendation" for the S/X gear box that I am aware of. Please provide a source that supports your statement.

See the PDF posted above by @captain_zap which shows that the differential oil is changed at 12 years/150K miles.