Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing fluid in the Gear box , part or Model S drive train.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for your reply. Any label that shares Dexron VI should share the same specifications. I was just looking at buying the best "Just in case".

Ill try and get some photos.

I purchased a Mityvac 7201 and it will be very helpful in the the process. Great tool! Will come in handy when I bleed out the brakes next year.

Still curious about the question I had earlier if anyone can chime in. "I have a RWD Model 75. Would that be considered LARGE Rear Drive unit?"

Also I would like to understand is my Tesla has big or small gearbox.
Thank you.

Performance model S has the large drive unit in the rear. Same front drive units on both D models.
EDIT: This is what I found in the copy of the service manual I have, but not sure about what they do in a P100D, as that model may have come out after this service manual was printed? I assume it has a large motor on the rear as it goes like stink.... but according to this chart earlier RWD models had the larger motor as well. But all of them? Did the 60 have a larger rear motor? doesn't make sense but not clear here....

Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 5.18.49 AM.png

Last edited:
Just scheduled gear oil change on both motors of my 2018 MX. Done for preventive maintenance first year flush which is not required, but decided to do after reading this thread. Service Center listed following part number used for the gear oil 212-B ATF(1031106-00-A) Total cost based on labor rate of $175 per hour projected to be $267.25

Interesting. I would have figured the price would have been astronomical like everything else. I may get this done at my next tire rotation.

thanks for the info.

Well this is confusing as hell. Where does this maintenance schedule say anything about replacing the subject of this thread? Not a sarcastic attack on FlatSix911 but it seems to contradict a number of previous postings. What am I missing? Do you replace diff fluid or not?

Well this is confusing as hell. Where does this maintenance schedule say anything about replacing the subject of this thread? Not a sarcastic attack on FlatSix911 but it seems to contradict a number of previous postings. What am I missing? Do you replace diff fluid or not?

it was in the original recommendations for older Model S but was removed.

Not clear as to why. Many suspect it was to save Tesla money by avoiding service costs, especially on cars with prepaid service.

The best case is that they learned it wasn’t necessary.

As a former BMW owner, I’m used to this game. BMW will label a transmission as “lifetime fluid” and not change the fluid under prepaid service or warranty, while the original maker, ZF, says change the fluid every 50k miles. The fluid does last the lifetime. … once the fluid is baked, your car has reached the end of its lifetime …:p

Well this is confusing as hell. Where does this maintenance schedule say anything about replacing the subject of this thread?
Not a sarcastic attack on FlatSix911 but it seems to contradict a number of previous postings. What am I missing? Do you replace diff fluid or not?
No worries... Tesla used to require the fluid change and has now changed their recommendation.
The service center will still do it off-menu if you make a special request and pay extra for it. YMMV ;)

I cannot find the actual real Tesla service manual page that states change differential oil at one year?? My SC says they don't do that.
But. A NEW differential should have oil changed . All differential make metal shavings , period.
Here is a copy of the original service recommendation checklist that I received in 2015.

1651792391427.png

Attachments

• ModelS_Annual_Service-1.1.pdf
    83 KB · Views: 72