Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing from 18" aero wheels to 19" sport wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I purchased my 2018 model 3, I went with the 18" aero wheels and have regretted not going with the better looking 19" sport wheels. It appears that my only choice now to purchase through Tesla is to pay $3,500 for the wheels and tires with no option to just purchase the wheels from them and then purchase my own tires separately. There are companies that offer 19" wheels like TSportline who offer new wheels for approximately $1,500. If I went that route and purchased acceptable wheels like Continental or Michelin, it seems like I could do it for $1,000 less. I have read that Tesla won't service your vehicle if you put third party wheels on the vehicle. I also see people selling wheels on Craigslist, however am a bit cautious about that.

Anyone have input input, ideas or advice?

Hi, This is not a direct response to your question as I have not tried to do the same thing. Just some advice. I have a 2019 Tesla Model 3 with the 19" wheels. I bought them because, like you, I thought they looked better. The only thing I was not aware of was that the ride of the vehicle is stiffer with these rims/tires. You might want to test drive a car with these rims on it before you make the move.

I have been thinking of going to the 18" wheels. I may just bite the bullet and buy a second set of tires/rims. I am disappointed to hear Tesla does not support 3rd party rims. Also new information for me.

Best of luck.

There are countless folks here w/after market rims. However, if you prefer the OEM 19 (as I do) look in the classifieds as takeoffs come up from time to time. My car came with the 18s, I have 19's now. I am personally just fine with the ride btw and Tesla actually updated the software some months later so folks could actually tell the car the rim size w/o going to service

I was in the same boat. I ordered a Model 3 with 19" sport wheels back in early Feb and should've received it at the end of March. However, when the factory shut down back in late March, my car wasn't built yet so I would've had to wait (and still keep waiting as of today) until my order was finally built and delivered. Instead, I decided to buy the same exact spec Model 3 as what I ordered, except with 18" aero wheels instead of the 19" sport wheels. My plan was to look in the classifieds, on both this forum and the facebook groups and marketplaces, and even on Ebay for local sellers. I would then buy the 19" wheels and then sell my brand new 18" aero wheels to help offset the cost.

I found a local seller who had some 19" and 20" sport wheels listed on Ebay and would sell them outside of Ebay. They were in brand new condition with zero nicks or scratches and not bent, and after thinking about it for a bit I ultimately decided on the 20" wheels because they were only $100 more, and even more surprisingly the brand new tires from America Tire were cheaper in 20" than in 19" for the same brand and equivalent 245 size. The seller told me that the 19" sport wheels are the most requested and harder to get in good shape, so the pricing on them isn't that great. If you really want the 19" sport wheels over some aftermarket wheels, then just search around and you'll eventually find some available for sale. You can still sell your 18" aero wheels, and depending on how fast you want to unload them will determine how much you're willing to take for them.

If you don't mind getting the Tesla 20", there often some Model 3 Performance owners who try selling them to get something else.
I have the 19" wheels but I might consider getting some 'For Sale' 20" as this could be even cheaper than buying a new set of 19" tires.

Last edited:
I noticed that the Auto Rim Shop markets Tesla OEM 20 inch rims and they are different sku's for front versus rear wheels. The only difference I see is that the front have an offset of 35 mm vs rear which has an offset of 40 mm. Does this matter? Do I need a different wheel for front versus back?

Also, any comments on Auto Rim Shop or TSportline as a vendor?

I had 18" wheels and after 7000 miles, I noticed on a FB group they were selling powder coated gun metal 19" sports wheels and the rest is history. After 13,000 more miles, it's purely aesthetics at the moment and don't noticed any improved handling. The thing you will notice is the slight gain in power consumption.

I noticed that the Auto Rim Shop markets Tesla OEM 20 inch rims and they are different sku's for front versus rear wheels. The only difference I see is that the front have an offset of 35 mm vs rear which has an offset of 40 mm. Does this matter? Do I need a different wheel for front versus back?

Also, any comments on Auto Rim Shop or TSportline as a vendor?

they don’t understand what they are selling. The 35mm offset is for the performance with performance package(red calipers) and should have a counter bored step. The 40mm offset is for the non performance equipped cars and doesn’t have the step. All four corners in both cases, not Different front/rear.

they don’t understand what they are selling. The 35mm offset is for the performance with performance package(red calipers) and should have a counter bored step. The 40mm offset is for the non performance equipped cars and doesn’t have the step. All four corners in both cases, not Different front/rear.
I ordered 35mm based I what they told me but they have not shipped yet. I have non-performance model 3. Should I switch to 40mm?

I wouldn’t. The 40mm are tucked in really far. 35mm will look better and still be well inside the wheel well. Keep in mind that people use 15mm spacers front and 20mm rear to get them flush with the fender.

I also bought my car with the 18" Aeros and I had grown to dislike the look of them. It's rare to find anyone selling the 19" Sport wheels. So when it came time to replacing the tires, I went and replaced them with the 20" Performance wheels.

20200510_150147 (1).jpg

Reactions: ss71 and XLR82XS
I was in the same boat. I ordered a Model 3 with 19" sport wheels back in early Feb and should've received it at the end of March. However, when the factory shut down back in late March, my car wasn't built yet so I would've had to wait (and still keep waiting as of today) until my order was finally built and delivered. Instead, I decided to buy the same exact spec Model 3 as what I ordered, except with 18" aero wheels instead of the 19" sport wheels. My plan was to look in the classifieds, on both this forum and the facebook groups and marketplaces, and even on Ebay for local sellers. I would then buy the 19" wheels and then sell my brand new 18" aero wheels to help offset the cost.

I found a local seller who had some 19" and 20" sport wheels listed on Ebay and would sell them outside of Ebay. They were in brand new condition with zero nicks or scratches and not bent, and after thinking about it for a bit I ultimately decided on the 20" wheels because they were only $100 more, and even more surprisingly the brand new tires from America Tire were cheaper in 20" than in 19" for the same brand and equivalent 245 size. The seller told me that the 19" sport wheels are the most requested and harder to get in good shape, so the pricing on them isn't that great. If you really want the 19" sport wheels over some aftermarket wheels, then just search around and you'll eventually find some available for sale. You can still sell your 18" aero wheels, and depending on how fast you want to unload them will determine how much you're willing to take for them.
Did you see/ feel any difference between the 19" and 20" wheels?