Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing from 21" staggered to 19" TST non-staggered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have the 21" Staggered PS2s and am considering switching to the 19" TS Sportline with the Pilot Super Sports (255/45ZR19) all around. I would appreciate any insights pro or con about making this switch.

The background on this is I took delivery of my car in December and have the 21" staggered setup, with 8,000 miles on my PS2s. Recently I noticed a slight vibration and took my car to Discount Tire, being I don't have local Tesla service to have my wheels balanced. I found that I had a couple of issues, in addition to be slightly out of balance which has helped a lot with the vibration I was feeling, they showed my I had a slight impact ding on one rim, and on another wheel there was a bubble on the sidewall. Tire wear was about 50% tread left all around. Discount Tire said they would normally replace the tire with the bubble under warranty, but could not find any in stock and after contacting Michelin they were told that the PS2s in our sizes were discontinued. I contacted several other locations myself who also made inquires to Michelin and were told the same thing. I called Tesla about the possible PS2 being discontinued and they were surprised to hear that and said they would check into it.

I am considering switching to the 19's TSTs which would allow me to put the Pilot Super Sports (PSS) which had been one of my favorite performance tires. The switch would have the benefit of allowing me to rotate the tires, cost of the tire is $200 less per tire than the PS2s, plus ? availability, PSS wear much less than the PS2s, durability of the rim , and hopefully some benefit in tire noise(?). My biggest concern is impacting cornering ability. I have had the Pilot Super Sports on several performance cars in the past and thought they were great and equal in performance to PS2s, granted none of the cars were close to 5000 lbs. Could anyone also give me any insight of the potential impact going from a bigger wheel, with a staggered setup would be on the cornering ability

Thank you for any input, advice and insights you can offer.