Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing from MR RWD to LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm also wondering what to do.
Ordered 11-1 MR and on 11-2 I changed order to the P3D. I don't see any changes to my page, no vin, no estimated delivery. I called several times and they say the same thing. Change department is really busy right now. I think I would have been better canceling my order and re-ordering.
So, should I . . .
1. Go with the flow and hope for the best.
2. Cancel order and place new order.
3. Keep existing order and place a new order with another $2500 deposit and whichever gets the VIN first, quickly cancel the other.

I'm in California and hoping for delivery by the end of the year. What would you do? Just curious.
Thanks!

Good luck, I’ve been waiting since 10/22 for them to change my configuration. I call and they just tell me to wait. It’s embarrassing how long it takes them to make a simple order change. In addition no one is helpful and they always say they will call me back or email and they never do.

Have you tried just using the edit link? Even if it's gone you can sign in and then enter the url into your browser.

Tesla SSO – Login
(replace your RN# at the end).

Worked for me anyways... Elon saying Nov 30 order gets you car by 12/31 now so probably not that risky. But don't blame me if it goes wrong :D.

Well for some reason I feel much better. I ended up cancelling my old reservation number and going through process to place a new one. I just feel better being able to see on my page the correct changes. It seems that those who make changes, their car gets lost in space. I think the change department needs to pick up the pace.

Have you tried just using the edit link? Even if it's gone you can sign in and then enter the url into your browser.

Tesla SSO – Login
(replace your RN# at the end).

Worked for me anyways... Elon saying Nov 30 order gets you car by 12/31 now so probably not that risky. But don't blame me if it goes wrong :D.

Doesn’t work for me because I was assigned a VIN they took away last month. I would just cancel and reorder like Boludo given Elon’s tweet today but because I had been assigned a VIN they won’t let me get that money back. It really makes no sense because either way they are getting my money but the reps are worthless.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Doesn’t work for me because I was assigned a VIN they took away last month. I would just cancel and reorder like Boludo given Elon’s tweet today but because I had been assigned a VIN they won’t let me get that money back. It really makes no sense because either way they are getting my money but the reps are worthless.
ughh. That is frustrating. For the first time mine now shows a December delivery which never showed on my previous RN. Weird that the changes are messing things up. Good luck to you!

Reactions: jsrawa
Well that worked! Cancelled my order that I made a change on because I saw no progress. Cancelled at 4:30 November 15 and ordered a new one with the correct changes. On November 16 at 1:30pm I received a text and an email that the car has been assigned a vin 102xxx and will be delivered to my house on November 23rd. I can speak first hand that if you need to make a change and haven't been assigned a VIN, just cancel and reorder to speed up the process.

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk and neroden
Well that worked! Cancelled my order that I made a change on because I saw no progress. Cancelled at 4:30 November 15 and ordered a new one with the correct changes. On November 16 at 1:30pm I received a text and an email that the car has been assigned a vin 102xxx and will be delivered to my house on November 23rd. I can speak first hand that if you need to make a change and haven't been assigned a VIN, just cancel and reorder to speed up the process.

Does this mean you have two deposits paid at once? Are you still waiting for the refund of the first deposit?

Congrats!

I just cancelled my initial order of MR RWD MSM/Black/19" Wheels (email to Customer Support) and submitted an new order for LR AWD Black/Black/Aero Wheels - hoping to have the same result like you have.

BTW, Any issues with the cancelled order (like refunding problems)? I emailed to cancel within 3 days of my initial order, was never assigned VIN - so I hope I get all $2.5K back.

Congrats!

I just cancelled my initial order of MR RWD MSM/Black/19" Wheels (email to Customer Support) and submitted an new order for LR AWD Black/Black/Aero Wheels - hoping to have the same result like you have.

BTW, Any issues with the cancelled order (like refunding problems)? I emailed to cancel within 3 days of my initial order, was never assigned VIN - so I hope I get all $2.5K back.

Yes, according to the order agreement, you are entitled to get the $2500 back if canceled before VIN match. But I don’t know why you had to cancel the original order. I did the same MR -> LR switch prior to VIN assignment like you, but my Owner Advisor just changed the original order, rather than cancel and recreate another order.

Actually, in my case, I had told the Owner Advisor I’d be interested in changing from MR to LR if he found one. But we left the order as MR while he was looking. A couple of weeks later he found a few LRs coming out of the factory to inventory and called me. At that time, I was able to ensure with him that the VIN and manufacturing date were very recent. So I asked him to change my order to match that LR VIN. They delivery folks took over from that point and dropped off the car a couple of days later on Tuesday last week.

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
Non-reservation holder, non-owner here on the east coast. Placed order for MR RWD on 10/28 (MSM, Black, EAP).

I'd like to switch to LR AWD but also don't want to lose my spot in line.

My ultimate goal is to take delivery of either vehicle (or even a LR RWD) by year end.

Should I keep the current order but work with an OA to identify an unmatched LR AWD? Should I officially change my current order to LR AWD and hope to get matched?

Thanks in advance.
Yes

Yes, according to the order agreement, you are entitled to get the $2500 back if canceled before VIN match. But I don’t know why you had to cancel the original order. I did the same MR -> LR switch prior to VIN assignment like you, but my Owner Advisor just changed the original order, rather than cancel and recreate another order.

Actually, in my case, .....

Well, this morning got a text that the LR AWD that I ordered on 24 Nov PM will be delivered on 4 Dec.

So, this my time line:

21 Nov: Ordered MR RWD MSM/19" Sport/No EAP

24 Nov 9 PM: Emailed Cust Service to cancell LR RWD. Phone call the next day confirmed they received canx request, said they will work on refunding deposit.

24 Nov 10 PM: Ordered LR AWD Solid Black/Aero/No EAP

26 Nov 11 AM: Received text to deliver LR AWD on 4 Dec at my home address in San Diego. Online account reflects the same.

Looks like it will all work out to have Tesla Model 3 before end of 2018, after only 10 day wait.

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
Well, this morning got a text that the LR AWD that I ordered on 24 Nov PM will be delivered on 4 Dec.

So, this my time line:

21 Nov: Ordered MR RWD MSM/19" Sport/No EAP

24 Nov 9 PM: Emailed Cust Service to cancell LR RWD. Phone call the next day confirmed they received canx request, said they will work on refunding deposit.

24 Nov 10 PM: Ordered LR AWD Solid Black/Aero/No EAP

26 Nov 11 AM: Received text to deliver LR AWD on 4 Dec at my home address in San Diego. Online account reflects the same.

Looks like it will all work out to have Tesla Model 3 before end of 2018, after only 10 day wait.

I had to do the same thing. I configured a MR RWD blue-white/18"/No EAP on Oct 30. After thrashing about considering the long range vs mid range and black vs white issues I finally decided (with the help of Jax OA) to take a stock LR RWD blue-black/18"/No EAP available now. Had to cancel my original order (no VIN assigned) and request refund of $2,500 - create new order and pay another $2,500. I now have a VIN and a delivery date in Atlanta. Regret losing white interior for hot Florida summers but glad for longer range.