Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing from MR RWD to LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Non-reservation holder, non-owner here on the east coast. Placed order for MR RWD on 10/28 (MSM, Black, EAP).

I'd like to switch to LR AWD but also don't want to lose my spot in line.

My ultimate goal is to take delivery of either vehicle (or even a LR RWD) by year end.

Should I keep the current order but work with an OA to identify an unmatched LR AWD? Should I officially change my current order to LR AWD and hope to get matched?

Thanks in advance.

Non-reservation holder, non-owner here on the east coast. Placed order for MR RWD on 10/28 (MSM, Black, EAP).

My ultimate goal is to take delivery of either vehicle (or even a LR RWD) by year end.

Should I keep the current order but work with an OA to identify an unmatched LR AWD? Should I officially change my current order to LR AWD and hope to get matched?

Thanks in advance.
I am in the same boat and currently have a MR RWD order (10/26 / non reservation / MSM / black / 18" / EAP / California). I spoke with my OA in person and asked him if there were any LR RWDs available that matched my MR RWD configuration exactly. He dug through inventory on the spot but didn't find any matches. He then told me cars can frequently go in and out of inventory due to cancellation, changes, etc... and if he found one, he would contact me but things would move quickly so I should have my payment and availability for delivery all settled. I have not heard from the OA in 2 days now so I'm not exactly hopeful he will find one. However, my MR RWD order has not been touched, so at least I have that to fall back on. I would not change your current order to LR.. in fact, I'm not sure if that's even possible.

EDIT: oops, sorry, I just noticed you're looking for LR AWD...not LR RWD... but if it were me, I'd still go through the OA and not through an order change.

Last edited:
When I checked on the east coast a few weeks ago, there were AWD (unmatched) models available. You should give the "showroom" a call, or swing by if you're close. If you act quickly, there's a high probability of taking delivery by the end of the year. The extra range and oomph of the dual motors would likely be appreciated.

I ordered MR on 11/4 (Red, White, EAP). Switched it to LR AWD on 11/11. On 11/13 (today!) received text with scheduled delivery for 11/19. Orange County, CA. Best of luck!

Man, I feel like Portland isn't that much further from Freemont than OC. Hoping I get some sort of notification in the next few days, given your order date (I ordered LR AWD on 11/8)

Thanks in advance.
Do NOT change the design. I was able to get a match for a LR and the OA switched it in the background!

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
Man, I feel like Portland isn't that much further from Freemont than OC. Hoping I get some sort of notification in the next few days, given your order date (I ordered LR AWD on 11/8)

As a follow up, I had a co-worker who had a LR RWD on order (white interior). He wanted to change it to AWD but when he called in they warned him he might not get delivery before Jan if he did. Once I told him I got delivery scheduled this morning he changed his to AWD anyways. Within 2 hours he received the delivery text for 11/23.

Thanks in advance.
Simply put, there isn't "a" line there are multiple lines. Now that we are down to less than 6 weeks, everything is starting to be questionable. We've all seen how end of quarters have been madhouses, but end of year and 100% tax credit is going to be really interesting.

Call your local service center delivery manager. I placed an order for a silver awd and the next day went to change my order for red and was told that a vin was just assigned and decided to just stick with it to get it before years end.

There was some delivery crap and it was delayed after a delivery date was canceled as a result. I was obviously disappointed when speaking to my delivery manager over the phone (don't rely on the over worked order phone reps but rather the actual local service center delivery site manager). I asked if there were any awd inventory models and they said there was a red awd exactly what i was going to switch to available and I picked it up the next day. It was nearly flawless, fyi...

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
Call your local service center delivery manager. I placed an order for a silver awd and the next day went to change my order for red and was told that a vin was just assigned and decided to just stick with it to get it before years end.

There was some delivery crap and it was delayed after a delivery date was canceled as a result. I was obviously disappointed when speaking to my delivery manager over the phone (don't rely on the over worked order phone reps but rather the actual local service center delivery site manager). I asked if there were any awd inventory models and they said there was a red awd exactly what i was going to switch to available and I picked it up the next day. It was nearly flawless, fyi...

Where would I find the local SC number?

My OA is in the process of matching me to a LR AWD, silver metallic, black, aero wheels that's supposedly sitting in Florida.

I won't believe it until my account is updated.

OP here. I called back the next day to check on the status of the match to the metallic silver AWD. The two guys who I worked with the day before weren't even there and no one could give me an update.

However, another helpful girl found an AWD, MSM, black, sport wheels in Jacksonville (no transportation fee if it's going to a final destination less than 500 miles) . She said she was going to call the inventory people directly (rather than just sending a message) to make sure I was matched to it. Sure enough, within 10 minutes, my account now shows that car with a estimated delivery by Dec '18.

It's 8.5k more than the car I originally spec'd; however, it all but guarantees the full tax credit now, and hopefully I'll enjoy the extra range, speed and traction. If it saves me life just once, it'll be worth it!

I'm also wondering what to do.
Ordered 11-1 MR and on 11-2 I changed order to the P3D. I don't see any changes to my page, no vin, no estimated delivery. I called several times and they say the same thing. Change department is really busy right now. I think I would have been better canceling my order and re-ordering.
So, should I . . .
1. Go with the flow and hope for the best.
2. Cancel order and place new order.
3. Keep existing order and place a new order with another $2500 deposit and whichever gets the VIN first, quickly cancel the other.

I'm in California and hoping for delivery by the end of the year. What would you do? Just curious.
Thanks!

My software update only issue went from Last Friday to its just software and ready on Tuesday. I wasn’t allowed to see the car to it’s not ready for pickup until the 20th.

“Software” only..... hmmm

I wonder if I rejected the car if they would give me the $45k price I originally booked a MR @ if I decided to go back.

I'm also wondering what to do.
Ordered 11-1 MR and on 11-2 I changed order to the P3D. I don't see any changes to my page, no vin, no estimated delivery. I called several times and they say the same thing. Change department is really busy right now. I think I would have been better canceling my order and re-ordering.
So, should I . . .
1. Go with the flow and hope for the best.
2. Cancel order and place new order.
3. Keep existing order and place a new order with another $2500 deposit and whichever gets the VIN first, quickly cancel the other.

I'm in California and hoping for delivery by the end of the year. What would you do? Just curious.
Thanks!

Are you flexible on color at all? In Atlanta, the showroom was able to identify some P3ds in inventory. They can speak directly with inventory team to match you directly to the car they are seeing as unmatched.