Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing from Volt to tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 240 volt 20 amp charging setup for my Volt

Want to convert the outlet to 14-50 nema and start using my portable tesla charge unit

I currently get 8 to 9 miles per hour with this set up?

My co worker gets 15 mph with his tesla set up

will my mph improve or do I need to upgrade more than the outlet

thanks

Your miles per hour will improve. The Volt is limited to a 3.3kW charger onboard, so you are almost never using the full capacity of a level 2 charger.

I am working through this same thing now - have a LCS-25 clipper creek that charges my Volt fully in 4-5 hours. I should get a better rate with the Tesla connected to it, so I am leaving it installed vs upgrading to a 14-50

Edit: never mind, I didn't understand the question. You are already charging a Tesla on this setup. To go to 14-50, your wiring and breaker need to be set up for 40-amp charging. That can't usually happen with just a plug swap unless you installed it with extra headroom initially

Want to convert the outlet to 14-50 nema and start using my portable tesla charge unit

thanks
Your ability to "convert" to a 14-50 will depend on the wiring feeding your current charger.

A rough heuristic for charging mph for the Tesla is W / 330. So 40a * 240v = 9,600 W / 330 = 29mph.

I'm currently using a destination charger facility which has both a 40a Clipper Creek charger and a 14-50 outlet for use with the UMC. I get about 28-29mph using either one.

At home with an 80a HPWC and the older style dual chargers in the MS, I see about 2x that or 56-58mph.

thanks

You will need to do a new circuit run for NEMA 14-50, unless your Voltec EVSE (assuming that is what you use) was installed using higher rated cable, which is very unlikely IMO.

I've had Volt for 3+ years before getting MS, so using the same exact setup (car is fully charged every morning with my typical commute needs; 40 - 50 miles s a day). 9 - 10 mph of rated range charging might work for you depending on how much you actually really need to charge. Obviously, ability to acquire range miles quicker solves a few special cases, but in 90% of the time, as long as car is ready in the morning, you might not care to do any upgrade at this time.

Good luck!

To covert your 20 amp outlet to a 14-50 you will need to use 6 gauge wire and a 50 amp circuit breaker. You might also need a larger receptacle box, depending on what you have now. Your electrical panel will need enough "room" to handle a 240 V 50 amp circuit. If you have 200 amp service that is probably sufficient but it depends on your other commonly used loads.

I made a similar switch: from an L6-20 outlet to a 14-50. I needed larger conduit, a larger outlet box and, of course, larger wires. It was pretty simple for me, but it depends on how your existing 20 amp circuit is set up.

If you do make the switch to a 14-50 your charging speed will more than double and you won't have to set the current level in the car because the UMC adapter will do that automatically (but I limit mine to 32 amps to reduce the heating of the UMC since I don't need the full 40 amp speed).

I have both. My Level 2 charger will add about 10 miles of range to the Volt per hour. When connected to the Tesla with the adapter, the Tesla will charge at about 20 miles per hour. When I put in the 14-50 plug on an 80'amp circuit, I am charging at 29 miles per hour.

I have 2 chargers at home that I use for my i3 and Volt (traded that sucka to a MS P85). Both are 30 amp chargers and it seems I'm getting around 20mi/hr on the MS.

I cannot do more as my home's circuit box is already tapped out. I can live with it since I only charge at night and fast charging when I'm sleeping is not important to me.

I also had a Volt. Loved it, but love the Model S more. I'm still using my 240V Voltec EVSE. It blew an internal fuse a few weeks ago but I fixed it. That did make me start thinking about better charging solutions. Step one is to find out how many amps my electrician ran when he installed it...