Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing lanes... a struggle session

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model X still refuses to reliably change lanes when I am in Autosteer. I have figured out that if I am driving with a bright setting sun flashing through trees on the driver side, it will refuse to change lanes. I get that. It is functionally blind at that point. However, on a normally sunny day or any time it is overcast, it may still have issues changing lanes. I cannot find any rhyme nor reason to when it works vs. when it doesn't work.

I am troubled by this. Sometimes it begins to change lanes and then it whips back into the original lane, jerking my head and startling my wife. Sometimes, I put the left turn signal on and it just keeps going. If I resignal a few times, it will give me an alert that it cannot change lanes at this time. No explanation, just an excuse. Then it may start to change then move back. I give it 10 seconds

What troubles me most is that I have the FSD option and at some point this car should be driving itself. I would hope that it gets a lot smarter, soon. The random rapid speed decreases have just about disappeared but the drifting to the right when the sideline disappears is quite troubling.

I thought that the car would gain experience while I drive, but I guess it does not.

What is your experience with changing lanes?

Doesn't sound right. I would guess there is some sort of hardware or software issue with your car. My MX is 2016 with MCU 1, and it appears to me my car learns. Examples: when I back my car up to where I hook up my boat, it often automatically goes into Standard suspension setting which is the setting for towing. Also, on a particular road I drive often, there is one spot where the autopilot had trouble going through a particular intersection. There was a painted crosswalk, and the line on the right side naturally goes away for the intersection. The car balked a couple times there, but after I drove through the intersection a few more times in autopilot, the car appeared to know what to do, and the AP negotiated the intersection fine. The AP continues to have no issues with this intersection now.

BTW, I've never experienced any issues with changing lanes while in AP. Blinker always causes car to change lanes. Again, I do not have FSD - just AP 2.5.

Recommend take car to SC for warranty service.