Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing Main 200 Amp Breaker with Power Walls?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need a new main master 200 AMP breaker installed in my PG&E meter box. My Tesla Installation has 2 Power Walls. How do I change a main breaker with the Tesla configuration without zapping myself.

Is it as simple has turning the Power Walls off. I suppose there is no way around losing power to the house during the change.

Any help or advise is appreciated.

Thanks

I need a new main master 200 AMP breaker installed in my PG&E meter box. My Tesla Installation has 2 Power Walls. How do I change a main breaker with the Tesla configuration without zapping myself.

Is it as simple has turning the Power Walls off. I suppose there is no way around losing power to the house during the change.

Thanks
Thanks needs to be done with permits and an electrician

The danger is from the grid, not the Powerwalls. When you turn off the main breaker, the Gateway will isolate the Powerwalls and backup loads from the grid side. The problem is that the grid side of the main breaker is still hot. I think the proper way is to pull the meter, then call PG&E to reinstall it with the proper seal. You should definitely have an electrician do this for you.

Thanks
Certainly not a homeowner project in my opinion. Call a professional, and let them know your situation.

What is the issue with your current main breaker?

It is a 25 year old knuckle back breaker that is no longer made except refurbished, Cooper Crouse-Hinds Murray MD2200 Main Breaker Vertical Mount 200A.

PG&E said it looked a little worn. I am replacing it with a Siemens that will fit and work.

Just a precaution.

Maybe it is not necessary.

It is a 25 year old knuckle back breaker that is no longer made except refurbished, Cooper Crouse-Hinds Murray MD2200 Main Breaker Vertical Mount 200A.

PG&E said it looked a little worn. I am replacing it with a Siemens that will fit and work.

Just a precaution.

I replaced mine, when the electrician needed to do, with refurbished stuff. Works fine. Personally, if it is not break, leave it alone

Just a precaution.

Yes, very much not a homeowner project.

Breakers do age, and at the end of the day, you want them to work in a time of need. Personally, I was happy to do a main panel upgrade as part of the Powerwall installation just to replace 50 year old breakers.

I would hire the electrician and get it done, but I would remind him/her about the Powerwalls.

All the best,

BG

Yes, very much not a homeowner project.

Breakers do age, and at the end of the day, you want them to work in a time of need. Personally, I was happy to do a main panel upgrade as part of the Powerwall installation just to replace 50 year old breakers.

I would hire the electrician and get it done, but I would remind him/her about the Powerwalls.

All the best,

BG

I just hope his main service panel isn't with 36 inches of his gas riser... or it'll become the world's most painful main breaker replacement project of all time.

• Funny
Reactions: Vines
I just hope his main service panel isn't with 36 inches of his gas riser... or it'll become the world's most painful main breaker replacement project of all time.

Only if you show up and get the lineman riled up!

In reality, old equipment needs to be replaced. PGE probably is giving a good recommendation to replace your main breaker.