Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

changing model 3 Brake pads to Brembo SPORT Brake pads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i had a is200 Lexus 51plate before I collected my model 3 performance on Fri 12th Sept 2019, in my Lexus I changed all 4 brake pads to brembos and it made a massive difference in breaking when at high speeds especially, I notice when I took my model 3 to 80/90 as a test on the braking system and noticed it wasn’t quick in reducing the speed as the Brembos brake Pads, I have learnt in this forum that the brake pads gets hot if frequently braking harshly all the time. I know the Brembos prevents this happening as the pads are much bigger which absorbs more heat and allowing a quicker response in braking. These pads works best between 200’c - 300’c and can withstand higher temperatures of up to 600’c when braking at high speeds, they also work on short distance and everyday general usage when braking.
I have noticed the response to slow down is a standard slowdown on the standard brake pads on my Model 3
And the slow on the Brembos were much more responsive to reduce the speed quicker on the Lexus.

My Question is has anyone applied these sports pads to their Model 3 Performance LR and notice the difference when braking at high speeds?

Or has anyone used these pads before and used them on their Model 3 to date?

I guess applying them within the 1st 4years we’ll lose warranty on the vehicle and so maybe will have to wait till the warranty is over before installing them. Or if we’re not fussed about the warranty then I guess just go ahead and do the change to the pads, but then how often is one speeding and have to brake harshly that often? And in the long run the extra safety is there to stop your car quicker in an emergency...

Would say that tyres would be the limiting factor not the pads unless you do repeated braking like on a track.
Remember the car would also probably be heavier than your old one and there is regen to help out as well

Well if it doesn’t interfere with the warranty then I suggest to all our M3 LR users to switch those disc’s for Brembos they’re around £200 for a set to be supplied and fitted. It’s an amazing response when braking to slow down before the traffic lights or oncoming speed cameras.

I would argue it is not a “must” at all. If you are doing track days then yes, as the better pads are more likely to dissipate the consistent and high heat better. But normal road driving you won’t get the pads anywhere near hot enough ( and if you do then you probably should be saving that sort of driving for the track).

Bear in mind that Tesla would have developed the car in all manner of environments so what you get as standard will cope with spirited driving well enough.

Btw - what car is it you are actually have ? You started off mentioning the performance model and have just stated it’s a long range.

• Informative
Reactions: pow216
Well if it doesn’t interfere with the warranty then I suggest to all our M3 LR users to switch those disc’s for Brembos they’re around £200 for a set to be supplied and fitted. It’s an amazing response when braking to slow down before the traffic lights or oncoming speed cameras.
Where have you seen Brembo discs and pads for a Model 3 for £200 supplied and fitted?

I would argue it is not a “must” at all. If you are doing track days then yes, as the better pads are more likely to dissipate the consistent and high heat better. But normal road driving you won’t get the pads anywhere near hot enough ( and if you do then you probably should be saving that sort of driving for the track).

Bear in mind that Tesla would have developed the car in all manner of environments so what you get as standard will cope with spirited driving well enough.

Btw - what car is it you are actually have ? You started off mentioning the performance model and have just stated it’s a long range.

I have an M3 LR performance AWD

I have an M3 LR performance AWD

I agree as a standard fitting it will give us the standard braking for whichever speed we’re driving at. Point I’m making here about the disc’s is that they are more responsive in slowing the car down at any speeds than the standard factory fitted ones.
Believe me the braking response is much much better than the standard fitted to any car on the road if they’r not fitted with the perform discs like our M3 AWD performance track mode M3

Our M3 LR performance AWD is a performance vehicle for its 0 - 60mph, and straight away I can tell the braking with the standard disc are completely different to the Brembos, and what’s fitted atm on our M3’s are just the standard ones

all18inch vehicles will have the distance and room to fit sports performance discs, I was just told this by the shop that fitted them to my old car.

That may be the case, but that does not mean that you can just buy the same set of discs and it will fit any car. There is more to it than that.

Also - there is no way you can get a set of standard discs supplied and fitted for £200 let alone anything more performance oriented.

The APs i had on my previous CSL were around £1800 fitted.

Also, tesla use a different set of alloys for their disks. This is to account for the much lower use they get as you mostly use regen for stopping. If you switch to a set of sports disks I would fully expect them to corrode to a pitted mess pretty quickly under normal driving. You would be fine if doing some 'hard driving' every other week possibly, but they will rust out and need replacing much quicker than you expect.

Keep the OEM you take off just in case I guess? If there is a problem you can switch back rather than having to buy new.

my brakes are pants I think, got a mobile tech coming to tell me if there is a problem or if I just need to get use to them. They stop me, but have no feel and really need lent on even just to bring the car to a stop in slow traffic :/

You are not going to get significantly more braking performance by changing the rotors unless you change them for bigger thicker ones for better cooling for instance and there are very few options at the moment to do this with the Model 3 unless you spend the money on bigger aftermarket calipers too.

There are some uprated brake pad options and they do make a difference, but I would suggest if your car is brand new with very few miles on it, you should make sure the standard brakes are properly bedded first as they aren't when they leave the factory and with only delivery mileage on them they won't have been used enough to ensure the pad surfaces are in full contact with the rotors. That goes for anyone experiencing poor brake feel.

Next step to improve braking feel will be to fit braided lines.

Next step is to upgrade the standard pads to something like the Brembo Sport pad, except Brembo don't make a Sport pad for all Model 3 variants yet so you may be unlucky there.

Also, as has been said, tyres are the limiting factor on braking distance.

Replacing just the rotors is not going to gain you anything other than a larger credit card bill.

Also note - the standard Tesla brakes and pads are all made by Brembo in the first place, so using the term 'Brembo' as though it will be better than 'Tesla' isn't necessarily valid!

Last edited:
Reactions: Avendit
You are not going to get significantly more braking performance by changing the rotors unless you change them for bigger thicker ones for better cooling for instance and there are very few options at the moment to do this with the Model 3 unless you spend the money on bigger aftermarket calipers too.

There are some uprated brake pad options and they do make a difference, but I would suggest if your car is brand new with very few miles on it, you should make sure the standard brakes are properly bedded first as they aren't when they leave the factory and with only delivery mileage on them they won't have been used enough to ensure the pad surfaces are in full contact with the rotors. That goes for anyone experiencing poor brake feel.

Next step to improve braking feel will be to fit braided lines.

Next step is to upgrade the standard pads to something like the Brembo Sport pad, except Brembo don't make a Sport pad for all Model 3 variants yet so you may be unlucky there.

Also, as has been said, tyres are the limiting factor on braking distance.

Replacing just the rotors is not going to gain you anything other than a larger credit card bill.

Also note - the standard Tesla brakes and pads are all made by Brembo in the first place, so using the term 'Brembo' as though it will be better than 'Tesla' isn't necessarily valid!

I agree they have not yet bedded in, and will give them another try on the braking to see if there’s any difference after 450miles so far in the clock mileage.

map this isn’t true then that if we are braking harshly too much the brakes will get hot and we have to give them time to cool off?
I’m sure cars especially M3 or any vehicle of such high quality in price range shouldn’t have braking issues and the brakes are and should be designed to take however many times we have to use them harshly once bedded in.

Good point to know that they’re made by Brembo, it’ll save me some cash not having to make any changes there then,
Also your correct that the discs will get corroded If not used often enough on high speeds as I did notice it once on my is200 over the years.

you made some good points which I’ll take onboard going forward