Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing Model S Interior Trim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are looking to purchase a Model S but the vehicle we found does not have our preferred wood trim. Is it each to switch out the wood trim and can you order that directly from Tesla? We are looking at a 2015 Model S that has the carbon fiber trim and we would prefer to change that to Obeche Wood.

Would the better looking "Figured Ash" trim from the current Model S design for the dash and cupholder area fit in a 2015 Model S?

Thanks for any information and we are excited to finally buy a Model S. Been waiting for this day for year :)

Can be done, but takes a bit of work, you have to remove the front dash pieces under the steering wheel and on the sides near the doors, the plastic pieces under the dash on either side. Then I believe you have to loosen the dash pad cover to get to screws on the top to get the upper trim pieces around the cluster free. From there it's just some screws to swap the pieces, I have replacements to do mine but haven't had the time or motivation to try it yet. I've had the lower pieces off many times for audio and door sill upgrades, but never dove into trying to get the upper pieces free as it's more involved to do.

You can order from Tesla depending on the service center and I'm sure they would replace but I'm guessing your cost is going to be pushing at least $1500-2000 for parts and labor to have it done. I'm kind of hoping I have a service need for them to take the dash apart and maybe swap it out for me while they have it torn down already lol.

• Informative
Reactions: Electricious
We are looking to purchase a Model S but the vehicle we found does not have our preferred wood trim. Is it each to switch out the wood trim and can you order that directly from Tesla? We are looking at a 2015 Model S that has the carbon fiber trim and we would prefer to change that to Obeche Wood.

Would the better looking "Figured Ash" trim from the current Model S design for the dash and cupholder area fit in a 2015 Model S?

Thanks for any information and we are excited to finally buy a Model S. Been waiting for this day for year :)
I am actually buying an S that has that wood in it and I would really prefer the carbon fiber. It would be awesome if we could swap, but looks like you're in CT and Im in TX and the car I am picking up is in NV. Good luck. Report back on how it worked as I would like to go the other way