Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing my order before VIN assigned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mdude

2021 M3LR | MSM | 19" Wheels | White Interior
Jul 6, 2021
Louisville, KY
Hey folks. I have a bit of a internal dilemma. At first I was considering not getting an LR, and so I placed my order for a MSM SR+ on 6/28.

Now, I'm having second thoughts. I talked to someone at my delivery center a few days ago and they told me my car's factory gate date is 8/12 with a delivery ETA of 8/24. I don't have a VIN yet, but I don't have the option of editing my configuration through my profile any more.

If I call customer service and ask to change my order to an LR, would it significantly impact the delivery timeline? I know newly ordered LR's aren't being delivered until November and I really don't want to wait that long 😬

Thanks in advance...

You're able to edit your order still (change from SR+ to LR) using this link, you just got to put your RN in:

https://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/edit-design/RNxxxxxxxx

I changed mine from a M3P to a SR+ using this.

M3 LR is the most sought after with the longest queue time. No one knows the order priority and how quick you'd get your car if you make that config change but November sounds right.

You're able to edit your order still (change from SR+ to LR) using this link, you just got to put your RN in:

https://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/edit-design/RNxxxxxxxx

I changed mine from a M3P to a SR+ using this.

M3 LR is the most sought after with the longest queue time. No one knows the order priority and how quick you'd get your car if you make that config change but November sounds right.
Link works but no more edit button. It appears edits can no longer be done online. You can go through SA to make changes. I wanted to change paint color and I couldn't find it.

if I update my Model 3 SR to LR does Does delivery date change as per the order update? it will take the original ordered Date
It changes your order date to the day you make changes. Your delivery date will be changed because the SR+ is currently January delivery where the LR is November. Just to let you know that VIN assignment is still random and it makes no difference when you ordered. If a car that makes your specs is delivered in your region you will get it no matter when you placed the order.

I think what people kind of don't understand about the logistics of building cars like Tesla does. When you're ordering your car they don't make your car special. Your car isn't assigned on the assembly line. What happens is once you place your order your name gets placed on the wait list for that certain sku. Then when it's your turn on the list you get your car. So when you change your options it just puts you on a new list. Tesla doesn't build to spec they build what they have parts for and will produce more of certain sku's due to previous weeks sales. So they make a ton of white vehicles based off of those sales numbers and they try to fill in the other specs compared to what they sell week to week.