Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing number plates...!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've applied to put my personal plate on to my M3P.
Just waiting for the paperwork but inspecting the current plates, I have no idea how to extract them put mine on!

Is there something obvious I'm not seeing? The harness around the plate seems stuck on?
Please see attached pics. Of course, its the same for the front (the pic is corrupted somehow...)

Attachments

• 20200910_121335.jpg
    20200910_121335.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 20200910_121317.jpg
    20200910_121317.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 70
I've applied to put my personal plate on to my M3P.
Just waiting for the paperwork but inspecting the current plates, I have no idea how to extract them put mine on!

Is there something obvious I'm not seeing? The harness around the plate seems stuck on?
Please see attached pics. Of course, its the same for the front (the pic is corrupted somehow...)
Take a look here. It relates to stick-on plates, but does explain plate removal.

Stick on number plate

I have changed the plates recently.

The lower horizontal strip saying Tesla.com comes off very easily. Gently apply a thin screwdriver to either end and twist. The plate itself does then come out easily with a small bend to the black plate holder.

However, IMHO, the thick black plastic plate holder is an ugly addition to the look of the car, it does make changing the plates a two minute job.

Tony

Update - following Tony's advice, I've changed my plates. As mentioned, the Tesla.com strip comes off and the original plates slide out easily enough. However, I noticed they were made of thin metal and my cherished plates are a thicker plastic so they required plenty of shoving and squeezing to fit but they eventually did without damage.

I have fitted my cherished number. without using horrible black plastic frames that Tesla thinks is needed.

At the rear I drilled the new plate to march the plastic screw plugs already available and stuck neoprene spacers on the plate so that it cannot rub on the metal.

At the front I retained the spacer Tesla provide and screwed the new plate to that.

This is the rear view, the plates are "German Style" pressed metal, almost 3D. There is a thin black frame at the edge.
The car is not clean, we live in the country.

Personal Plates July 2021.jpg

Reactions: Nick77