Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing order from S to P after confirming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I talked to an Inside Sales Advisor today and learned 2 things:

1. No changes after you hit the confirm button
2. ETA on car delivery is 4-6 weeks

swiss

You may want to call sales in CA (corp), and tell them you want to change. They have not even come anywhere close to starting, so I think it could be done. I had changes made (as others here have) several days after confirm. It's worth a shot.

Damn you guys!!!

I wasn't even thinking about buying a new car until my son totaled my Audi A5, thankfully he wasn't hurt. But now I had to start looking for a new daily driver. Not being in the car shopping mindset there was nothing out there that really interested me until I took a test drive in a S85. Besides my Porsche GT3 I had never been pinned back to my seat the way the S85 did, I placed my order that day and confirmed it two days later.

Then I started reading some of the postings here on this forum about what people thought of the performance difference between the S85 and the P85. I wasn't convinced that 54hp in a 4600lb car would make much of a difference. Now admittedly I didn't do a lot of research about the Model S until after I ordered it. Normally I'd put a lot more thought into which specfic version of a car I was going to buy before I test drive it, so I am famillar with it and know what to expect. When I took my test drive they only had the S85 available and I was totally impressed with it. Then I read this thread and it got me wondering!!

I was finally able to test drive a P85 yesterday and "Holy S**t" what an eye opener that was. From a standing start it was every bit as quick as the GT3 (gotta admit though the sound of a wide open GT3 is amazing) up 60-70mph. You gotta love all that 443 ft/lbs of torque.

Thought about it last night and made the change this morning. Service person at Tesla thought there would be no problem upgrading the order even though I have an assigned Vin# already.

Now the waiting begins!!!

Damn you guys!!!

I wasn't even thinking about buying a new car until my son totaled my Audi A5, thankfully he wasn't hurt. But now I had to start looking for a new daily driver. Not being in the car shopping mindset there was nothing out there that really interested me until I took a test drive in a S85. Besides my Porsche GT3 I had never been pinned back to my seat the way the S85 did, I placed my order that day and confirmed it two days later.

Then I started reading some of the postings here on this forum about what people thought of the performance difference between the S85 and the P85. I wasn't convinced that 54hp in a 4600lb car would make much of a difference. Now admittedly I didn't do a lot of research about the Model S until after I ordered it. Normally I'd put a lot more thought into which specfic version of a car I was going to buy before I test drive it, so I am famillar with it and know what to expect. When I took my test drive they only had the S85 available and I was totally impressed with it. Then I read this thread and it got me wondering!!

I was finally able to test drive a P85 yesterday and "Holy S**t" what an eye opener that was. From a standing start it was every bit as quick as the GT3 (gotta admit though the sound of a wide open GT3 is amazing) up 60-70mph. You gotta love all that 443 ft/lbs of torque.

Thought about it last night and made the change this morning. Service person at Tesla thought there would be no problem upgrading the order even though I have an assigned Vin# already.

Now the waiting begins!!!

Um, hate to say it--but if you're use to GT3, you're going to want the P85+. Call them back ASAP...we'll wait.

The handling and suspension on + is what you will want coming out of Porsche. I had a 2013 4s, and there wasn't a question + was necessary.

I'm confused by this. If they sent you a full VIN, they'll have to update/adjust it as the VIN includes a character for Perf.

Hmm. I already had a VIN when I changed. What character is it? I want to check my dashboard VIN now. Hey Brian, BTW I think I talked to you at a car show yesterday. Love your Sig P85 :)

- - - Updated - - -

I upgraded to a P about 2 weeks after I got my VIN number. Took about 4 days to update by build sheet and about 2 more to adjust the VIN number's 8th digit from an N to a P.

OK, my 8th digit is a P. Don't remember if it was an N before.

Um, hate to say it--but if you're use to GT3, you're going to want the P85+. Call them back ASAP...we'll wait.

The handling and suspension on + is what you will want coming out of Porsche. I had a 2013 4s, and there wasn't a question + was necessary.

GT3 is a great track car/weekend toy but not a daily driver. Too stiff, too loud for the wife, passenger seat rarely used. The P85 is going to be my daily driver that my wife will be able to ride in and drive and still have the extra punch to keep freeway on ramps interesting. I've spent enough money on sets of Michelin Pilot Sport Cups and don't need to add PS2's to the list.

The P85+ is a good choice if you want the ultimate Tesla but everyone needs to configure their Model S for their particular needs. I think the P85 is a nice fit for my family. But the + is tempting!!!

GT3 is a great track car/weekend toy but not a daily driver. Too stiff, too loud for the wife, passenger seat rarely used. The P85 is going to be my daily driver that my wife will be able to ride in and drive and still have the extra punch to keep freeway on ramps interesting. I've spent enough money on sets of Michelin Pilot Sport Cups and don't need to add PS2's to the list.

The P85+ is a good choice if you want the ultimate Tesla but everyone needs to configure their Model S for their particular needs. I think the P85 is a nice fit for my family. But the + is tempting!!!

Absolutely. Just as a side note the ride on the + is very smooth, not hard whatsoever.

Great move on the P upgrade and look forward to seeing it!

I just called and made my own request to upgrade from S85 to P85. Order Placed 9/9, confirmed 9/10, no production date as yet. I was told that I should hear something in a day or two, but the rep sounded positive about the request.

Now we are talking--congrats on the change!! :cool:

That my friend you will not regret.

Now let's talk about the + advantages....:biggrin:

I`m in the same boat. Have ordered P85 grey/grey with black Perf seats. Problem is...should I go all the way? :cursing: For me daily comfort is most important, but I also want good handling. I do not want to feel every pothole and bump in the road. Do the air shocks make the car comfortable? I want it firm but not hard if you know what I mean :)
And what about the increased roadnoise from P+? Tyrewear?

Come on with the + advantages :wink:

I hate to even ask and kind of hope the answer is No. But is it possible to change (upgrade) your car config after confirming an order? Waiting for the car to go into production is so hard! I am sure I will be super happy with an S85, its a major upgrade, but the waiting is making me second guess myself.

All you S85 owners tell me how stupid fast the car is to make me feel better!

I placed my order for an S85 on 10/14 and confirmed on 10/17 (Pearl White | Pano | Blk Leather | Carbon Fiber | 21" Grey Turbines). After waffling about it for a few days, I changed my order on 10/24 to add the Tech Package. The inside sales rep (Wade) was very helpful in getting this done for me (he told me that he couldn't guarantee it could be done but that he would put in the request and see what he could do). I received confirmation of the addition of the Tech Package addition to my config later that same day.

After giving it more thought and careful consideration, I decided that I also wanted to go to the P85.

I called Tesla this morning and another inside sales rep (Jeff) was again very helpful in getting the change order done. Jeff initially told me he had to call me back as he did not know if he could do this but, after he spoke to a director, called me back within minutes relaying that it could be done. He also told me that upgrading to the P85 would get my car built 2-weeks sooner! In upgrading the performance, I had to sacrifice some of the aesthetics and downgraded to the Solid White from the Pearl in addition to swapping the Carbon Fiber to the Piano Black. I called Tesla at about 12:20 p.m. and by 12:45 the changes had been made.

Long story short: it is possible.