Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing order on new Model S LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order for the new Model S LR several months ago so I got locked into the original pricing. I want to remove a feature (FSD), but Tesla is treating the modification as if it's a brand new order, where the price of the car is the current price (15k increase) and the delivery date is 3-4 months after my current delivery date. This seems absurd. Any recommendations on how I can remove FSD without increasing the base price of the car and changing the delivery date?

What does the terms and conditions of the order agreement document say? If Tesla is behaving in a way inconsistent with the purchase agreement, simply show it to them and expect the honor it.

If you're asking them to agree to change the terms of the order agreement, what is your justification that they should alter it??

I found the sales agreement: It says you "may" be subject to price increase:

If you make changes to your order, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing
adjustments made since your original Order Date. Any changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the delivery location or
estimated delivery date, will be reflected in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement.

bummer. that sucks.
Also, to clarify a bit. They also wont waiver if it means GIVING them more money. I initially wanted to upgrade from the 19" wheels, in order to pay them $4500 MORE for the 21" wheels (which are not worth $4500 at all, as they are cast, not forged like the prior 21" Arachnids). Sales person said "you can do it, but, you will forfeit your lower sales price and you'd need to pay us $10k more PLUS the $4500".

I stuck with the 19's and purchased my own aftermarket 21s that are forged, for $2400.

Some owners in the LR delivery waiting room have reported the ability to remove just FSD without changing the agreement price recently. My understanding is that actual modification to exterior/interior color and/or tires will cause you to lose the per-increase contracted price. I don't know for sure, but wanted to provide some reference point if that should be helpful.

I’m curious why you want to remove FSD from the order. Did you decide to subscribe to FSD instead?

Not speaking for OP of course, but I can see this. I debated a while, but ultimately did not get it. Lots of (I'll call them) opinions how it is a waste of money and doesn't really do anything at current time. I have friends who have them and friends who don't.

OP could save a significant amount of money by not getting it, however if he changes his config as stated above, he's probably subject to price increases.

Some owners in the LR delivery waiting room have reported the ability to remove just FSD without changing the agreement price recently. My understanding is that actual modification to exterior/interior color and/or tires will cause you to lose the per-increase contracted price. I don't know for sure, but wanted to provide some reference point if that should be helpful.

Thanks for the data point. I reached out to the local SC - hoping they can help address this.

Reactions: BruinIvy
I’m curious why you want to remove FSD from the order. Did you decide to subscribe to FSD instead?
It's a good question. I'm not convinced Elon will get it working to a point that I trust anytime soon. I am happy to do the subscription based model b/c my driving routes don't benefit from FSD most of the time. When I need it, I'll opt into it for that month. Also, the AP that comes with the car handles most situations where I would actually use AP.

Reactions: Wol747
It's a good question. I'm not convinced Elon will get it working to a point that I trust anytime soon. I am happy to do the subscription based model b/c my driving routes don't benefit from FSD most of the time. When I need it, I'll opt into it for that month. Also, the AP that comes with the car handles most situations where I would actually use AP.
How long ago did you order your car, and what specifically made you lose confidence in FSD? Things haven't changed a whole lot over the last several months.

Makes sense. I guess you could try contacting your delivery advisor and seeing if they'll let you subscribe rather than purchase without changing the order. Since the subscription wasn't available when you ordered the car, it's not an unreasonable request, and you have nothing to lose by trying. Good luck!

Reactions: BBB4000
It almost NEVER is worth buying FSD with the purchase of the car even if you think it was ever worth the ridiculous sum they were charging for it given the limited capabilities.

I'll add some content to this for anyone on the fence. Here are my top 10 reasons to NOT BUY FSD with your original order.

1. FSD can easily be added at any time post purchase.
  2. Definitely, something you should try before you buy.
  3. In many states, if added to the purchase price, your licenses fees will also go up for every year of ownership if based on the value of the car. Added after the fact the state doesn't know and your tags are based on a 10k lower cost basis at current pricing.
  4. The subscription model makes it moot to purchase upfront. Add it for when you really need it, for as long as you need it.
  5. It stays with the car so to speak. If your car is crashed, stolen, lost, etc. you will get a depreciated value back. Again better to do a subscription.
  6. Might help you from a financing perspective. If your debt to income ratios are tight, might help you get financed or possibly at a lower rate.
  7. If I were to do it, (pretty clear I wouldn't purchase it at current cost), I would put it on a newly signed up credit card to make my spend requirement for any bonuses, in effect reducing the cost. Same goes for the subscription but to a lesser extent due to the $$$ involved. I did do this for acceleration boost so it helped me get a few free hotel nights.
  8. Only makes any sense to buy if you are going to keep the car for about 6 years. Maybe you are one of those few that will. Now if Tesla allowed you to transfer to another Tesla, I'd more seriously consider it, but since it is locked to one car, no reason to purchase it.
  9. From what I understand, if you trade your car into Tesla, they give you no added value. Correct me if I am wrong. I've heard it doesn't matter to them as they can flip the switch anytime they want to add or remove it. I've heard if the car goes to a 3rd party seller, that they often remove it as well. If the 3rd party seller is aware of this practice, they'll likely give you no value for it on trade. Again, I've heard this but not experienced it, but something I would definitely validate.
  10. It is nowhere near ready prime-time so I would set it out for a while anyway.
I really can't think of a single reason why it makes sense to buy with your car at the time of order/purchase. Maybe you have some edge case that makes sense. I would love to see it.

I really can't think of a single reason why it makes sense to buy with your car at the time of order/purchase. Maybe you have some edge case that makes sense. I would love to see it.

I largely agree with what you're saying, especially now that a subscription option is available, but can think of a couple of reasons why some may want to include it in their original order.

1. Lock in the $10k price in case Tesla decides to raise it before you are able to take delivery.
2. Roll the $10k into finance payments rather than pay for it separately post purchase. $10k at 2.49% APR for at least 54 months adds less per month than the current (which may go up) $199/month subscription cost. Same could apply to lease payments.

As far as FSD not adding any value to Tesla trade-ins, I think the jury may still be out on that. About the only way to know for sure would be if Tesla provided line item details in their trade offers e.g., 35k miles adds or deducts this, condition adds or deducts this, FSD adds or deducts this, etc.