Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing Registration after VIN before delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if already discussed but couldn’t find this specific scenario, seeking experience from others:

Friend of parents has model 3 ordered from prior to price increases, registration is entered in his name. He just wants his $100 deposit back (pre $250 deposit) and parents agreed to buy the car directly from Tesla for as clean a transaction as possible. Parents want to change registration to their name through Tesla before delivery to avoid hassle of going through CA DMV to change registration and possibly triggering a Use Tax audit (has happened to me in past). Friend says SA won’t change name on registration even though we keep insisting this before delivery. VIN now assigned, delivery date tomorrow. Any experience w this? Will SA do this for us in person if all parties present at delivery?

Probably not, but they can keep asking. Thank all the people who were (and still are) flipping reservations for all this "hard stance" tesla stuff on this topic now.
Yeah this being a seller’s market for Tesla, they are likely more than happy to send us packing to avoid the hassle and sell at a premium price to the next willing buyer in line. Not optimistic, gone are the days of customer service and retention. As a family this would be the fifth Tesla for us but loyalty means nothing these days. Thankfully parents (dad specifically) aren’t in a desperate situation to NEED this car, the price just seemed good, but Tesla knows this and probably also has an incentive to find a reason to cancel on us. Shame, but here we are.

Yeah this being a seller’s market for Tesla, they are likely more than happy to send us packing to avoid the hassle and sell at a premium price to the next willing buyer in line. Not optimistic, gone are the days of customer service and retention. As a family this would be the fifth Tesla for us but loyalty means nothing these days. Thankfully parents (dad specifically) aren’t in a desperate situation to NEED this car, the price just seemed good, but Tesla knows this and probably also has an incentive to find a reason to cancel on us. Shame, but here we are.
Not surprisingly, Tesla cancelled this order less than 24 hours prior to our delivery appointment this morning without notice. Dad relieved, mom a little sad at missed opportunity for lower pricing, I had about an 80% inkling this would end this way. The “friend” turns out had declined a couple of prior VINs before this one without notifying us, so this was the last straw. Probably for the best for all. Dad will just drive his 2015 Genesis into the ground along with his wallet as gas prices skyrocket. Maybe I’ll gift him my 2018 M3 LR RWD at that point and activate my rivian r1s preorder. Onward and upward!

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Not surprisingly, Tesla cancelled this order less than 24 hours prior to our delivery appointment this morning without notice. Dad relieved, mom a little sad at missed opportunity for lower pricing, I had about an 80% inkling this would end this way. The “friend” turns out had declined a couple of prior VINs before this one without notifying us, so this was the last straw. Probably for the best for all. Dad will just drive his 2015 Genesis into the ground along with his wallet as gas prices skyrocket. Maybe I’ll gift him my 2018 M3 LR RWD at that point and activate my rivian r1s preorder. Onward and upward!

Its a data point, thanks for circling back and letting us know the outcome.

• Helpful
Reactions: doozenberg