TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Changing temperature using Right thumb roller button?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by plasmo, Sep 1, 2018.

1. plasmo

plasmo Member

One of the features that I used a lot in Model X and S is the ability to change the cabin temperature up or down using the Right thumb rolling button. It doesn't seem to work on the Model 3. Is this something that can be enabled?

2. pdxrunr

pdxrunr Member

That was the first thing I asked on a test drive! I was told not possible now, but it seems like just a software change. We just need to provide feedback, but I am shocked there is no way to control the ac with the steering wheel currently.

• Like x 3
  3. RTPEV

RTPEV Member

I would much prefer being able to control regen with the right thumbwheel when the car is not in TACC mode (in which case it worries about regen itself).

I get that people like the strong regen and the ability to do one pedal driving (mostly). I like it myself under certain circumstances. But when just driving around the neighborhood in light (or no) traffic, I have to keep my foot lightly on the accelerator to coast. This is particularly the case when approaching a stop sign. I have to keep my foot on the accelerator and then let up at the last minute and come to a much quicker stop than I otherwise would have if in "standard" regen. Plus, high regen, when you don't actually need it, is actually far less efficient than coasting.

And when I put the car into low regen, it seems that even when I hit the brake pedal, I get very little or no regen at all. Plus, in heavy traffic and when I am approaching a turn, I do like the regen that standard regen offers.

On my LEAF, with just a flick of my wrist on the shifter I could enable "B" mode regen very easily, and then flick back out when I didn't need it any more. The VW e-Golf lets you flick the shifter to the left to engage different regen modes. The Chevy Volt and Bolt have a paddle (button) on the steering wheel that engages a higher level of regen on demand.

On the Tesla, it is not practical to switch between low and standard regen as you approach a turn or an exit ramp. You basically have to pick one or the other, even though I think during a typical trip there are cases where you want to use both.

It would be wonderful to be able to dynamically control the amount of regen using the thumb wheel. Even using the left/right motion control to switch between low and standard would be an improvement.

• Like x 1
  4. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Count me as in as wanting to control the fan with the thumb wheel. I use that all the time in my S and I was disappointed to find we can't do that in the 3. I sure hope that comes with an update.

As to regen, I can't even feel it in my Leaf, or in any other EV or hybrid I've driven. I love the strong regen and the way Tesla has set it and forget it. I don't need it on the thumb wheel since I would never turn it down. When I charge to 100%, I have to be aware to brake going into turns, etc. and I don't think that's something the thumb wheel should be able to change because people would do it inadvertently and unlike the Leaf and other EVs, you can actually feel it in a Tesla without having to look at the dash to see it.

• Like x 1
  5. RTPEV

RTPEV Member

What year LEAF?

In my 2012 LEAF, I would agree with you. That had an "ECO" mode that had slightly more regen, but still not too much (I think not being able to feel it at all is an exaggeration though). And especially in cold weather with a degraded battery, regen was very anemic.

My 2015 Volt (pre-paddle) has an L gear that is DEFINITELY noticeable (but inconvenient to shift to, so I don't often use it dynamically, but I have when if heavy stop-and-go traffic).

With 2013 and later, Nissan introduced B mode, and while not as strong as Tesla, you can definitely feel it, and is actually very useful in stop and go traffic and for slowing down the car significantly.

And while it's great that you love the strong regen, not everybody does (at least not all the time).

As for people inadvertently changing it, I doubt that is a serious concern. I would be far more concerned with people inadvertently adjusting the cruise speed up or down, and apparently this is not a big enough concern, since that is exactly what that thumbwheel does.

Speaking of which, that's the other issue with assigning something like HVAC temp or fan speed to the right thumbwheel. Right now that thumbwheel already has a function (cruise speed). I guess it would be fine if you could permanently assign it to either cruise speed or HVAC control--your pick. But if that option isn't offered, would you expect to have it control cruise speed when TACC is on, and HVAC when it's not? Talk about the potential for accidentally increasing or decreasing speed unexpectedly.

6. plasmo

plasmo Member

Wouldn’t it be cool if there was a button on the steering wheel that was “programmable and customizable”? (Eg. Set a button to “thumbs up” a song on slacker, etc)

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

You don’t find that you change radio and cruise control speed/following distance more frequently than cabin temperature?

• Like x 1
  8. plasmo

plasmo Member

Actually, after using the right button to adjust speed during autopilot for a few days... you are right. It’s much nicer to control speed using the thumb button (vs clicking the left stick on the S and X) especially when another car is merging into your lane and you need to slow down.

• Like x 1
  9. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

I always thought it could be more context aware like the other buttons are - touch climate to get that window up and the thumb wheels change temp vs having to tap those up/down arrows.. they did that exact context behavior for mirrors and steering wheel so...

10. plasmo

plasmo Member

One thing that is difficult for me is using the left thumb dial to skip songs. It feels unnatural and it would have been easier if it was my right thumb to “pull” right rather than push right with the left thumb.

• Like x 1