Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing tires for winter etc. - How's the road noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

woodisgood

Optimustic Pessimist
Jul 26, 2018
San Francisco
I know lots of folks are putting on their winter tires and I'm curious if you're noticing a road noise difference between the OEM tires (foam-filled) and whatever non-foam tires you're putting on.

Living in CA I know nothing about winter tires and whether they're noisier at baseline. I'm just wondering whether there is actually a significant or noticeable noise advantage to the acoustic foam-filled tires and figure we've got lots of people changing out of the OEMs.

My Ice X from Michelin were Quieter than the Conti's and the Hankook, but not quieter than the Pilot Sport 2.
Also, I'm on 4, yes 4 seasons with the ICE x and I get one good season from Conti and Hankook, and 1.5 Seasons out of the Pilot Sport 2's
I'm in NH and I keep the snows on from October to March.

19" Wheels for the snows, and 21" for the summer
~250 kwh/mi with 19s and ~300 kwh/mi with the 21s, same temperature.

Reactions: woodisgood
I have the Nokian R3 and had the pleasure to drive on iced over roads with ease recently. I do not notice much more noise and they have very good rolling resistance. They have a poor wet rating but I personally do not find them to be worse than the stock Primacy MXM4 tires. Perhaps the poor wet rating only applies to warmer weather?

I've used winter/summer tires since the mid 1990s and used most major brands. Sottozero 3 is my favorite performance based winter tire and the Nokian R3 is my favorite heavier snow/ice tire. On my previous car Sottozero 3 was noisy. I've used Bridgestone, Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli and now Nokian. Nokian will be my go to Winter tire from now on. For summer I have Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires installed on a second set of wheels and think just as highly

I ride with 18" wheels so I can continue my EAP assault on potholes without incurring any damage.

I do find the R3s to be a little louder but not in a detrimental way, I actually find the quiet rumbling quite therapeutic. Quite honestly though they are the best winter tire I have ever used for the conditions here in Canada and I cannot imagine using anything else. I was worried about the same thing when I switched but it turns out that it is a non issue for me, especially now that I can drive the car safely without chill mode and low regen being turned on.