Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing Tires

miggz410

Jun 25, 2016
Bay Area, California
Looking for some help, the time has come for me to buy a new set of tires. But I've been thinking about changing the factory tires to another brand or type. My car came with 19" Goodyear Eagle Touring SCT (Sound Comfort Tech). I was wondering if any of you guys switch to tires without the sound proofing foam strip. Most of my local tire shops don't patch them due to the foam. Also was there a huge difference in road noise? Which brand is the best?

Ostrichsak

Sep 6, 2018
Colorado, USA
I did lots of research when I first got our cars and the tests done on the "quiet" tires showed that any difference was barely measurable let alone perceptible to the passenger's ears. Based on that alone I decided it wasn't worth the price tag, limited choices and inability to repair for some shops as you mentioned.

After even more research I opted for the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ but I live in Colorado and needed an all-season tire. While I love these tires I wouldn't recommend them for the Bay Area as it appears you're from. You'd do much better with more of a summer tire with good rain traction and better wear.

Also, as a side note, you posted this in a Model S subforum and your avatar pic is of Model 3. Not an issue but to truly select the right tire for the car and needs this should be taken into consideration based on the feedback you'll get in a Model S subforum since they're two different cars with different needs.

miggz410

Jun 25, 2016
Bay Area, California
I did lots of research when I first got our cars and the tests done on the "quiet" tires showed that any difference was barely measurable let alone perceptible to the passenger's ears. Based on that alone I decided it wasn't worth the price tag, limited choices and inability to repair for some shops as you mentioned.

After even more research I opted for the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ but I live in Colorado and needed an all-season tire. While I love these tires I wouldn't recommend them for the Bay Area as it appears you're from. You'd do much better with more of a summer tire with good rain traction and better wear.

Also, as a side note, you posted this in a Model S subforum and your avatar pic is of Model 3. Not an issue but to truly select the right tire for the car and needs this should be taken into consideration based on the feedback you'll get in a Model S subforum since they're two different cars with different needs.

I'm a Model S owner... That avatar picture is old. It was my ideal build before they released the model 3.

Ostrichsak

Sep 6, 2018
Colorado, USA
I'm a Model S owner... That avatar picture is old. It was my ideal build before they released the model 3.
I see. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you mis-clicked so you'd know that the feedback you would be getting would likely be for Model S give the audience. The differences are minimal as compared to other vehicles but there are minor differences. These differences plus region will help you choose the best tire for your needs within your budget.

Good luck!

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC