TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Changing wheels, put the Tesla TPMS sensors in them?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by timk225, Aug 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. timk225

timk225 Member

Out of sheer principle, I have a real problem with Tesla essentially forcing us to spend $1500 on decent looking wheels, to get away from the ugly base Aero wheels. So we could buy aftermarket 18 inch wheels and swap the tires over to them.

I typed 18 x 8 wheels into google, and one of the first choices was a $110 replacement wheel for a Nissan Maxima that looked nice, and similar to the Tesla 19 inch wheels, but the bolt pattern was slightly off.

But once we find suitable wheels, what about swapping the Tesla tire pressure sensors into them? It wouldn't surprise me if they made their tpms's just unique enough that they would not work in any non-Tesla wheel, to force us to buy their overpriced wheels.

2. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

Because TireRack.com sells wheels for Teslas and matching TPMSes, I think the TPMS in a generic type.

• Like x 1
  3. timk225

timk225 Member

Let's confirm the OEM TPMS sensors can swap into aftermarket wheels.

4. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Member

Yes they can

5. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Dog Chauffeur

You will probably do better selling the wheels, tires and tpms as is, oem sets, right off the car. You would probably be able to get enough for the four to go a long way towards a fresh set from somewhere like Tire Rack with new tires and TPMS. That will save you on labor as you'll have a set you can just bolt on.

6. jsanford

jsanford Red 3 Reserver

I think TPMS are regulated. I was just thumbing through our truck manual and the section on it had a bunch of Compliance code statements in it.

7. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Member

It could be considered a safety item, so that would make sense.