TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Changing wheels to allow for all around tire rotation

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by SPtheALIEN, Feb 6, 2017.

1. SPtheALIEN

SPtheALIEN Member

Hello,

I was wondering what the detriments are for running in a square setup (all tires the same size). I am thinking about running 265s all around and getting to rotate all my tires. My practicality is kicking in more than cornering performance.

2. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Losing a little grip in corners at the back is about the only detriment I can think of. Maybe the look of having the rear wheels a bit more tucked under the car too. Would most folks notice either? Unlikely. Sounds like a pretty good idea to me. I'm now in for 2 staggered set ups though! :rolleyes::p;)

3. SPtheALIEN

SPtheALIEN Member

Thanks! I'm wondering if you can use spacers to compensate.

4. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

I don't know much about using spacers. I can't see why not though. Except may all that instant torque which we enjoy so much. :p;)

5. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Active Member

Here is my remaining tread depth after about 18,000 miles. I don't see much value in rotating.

- Measured tire tread depth at:

(Outer) (Center) (Inner)

LF: 6.5/32 7.5/32 7.5/32

RF: 6.5/32 7/32 7/32

LR: 7/32 7.5/32 7.5/32

RR: 6.5/32 7/32 7.5/32

If anything I need to run on very low suspension a little more to wear the inner thread faster.

• Informative x 1
  6. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

I don't believe 265's will fit on the front!

7. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Why not? I have 265's on mine. Tesla has also delivered front 265's.

Check the "Tire Specifications" table on page 175 of the Owners Manual for confirmation. :rolleyes::p;)

8. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

My mistake, I thought you were referring to the "S"

9. SPtheALIEN

SPtheALIEN Member

So an interesting thing happened at the Tesla San Diego (Fashion Valley) location yesterday. I was chatting with the folks there and they all thought the Model X went into a square setup for the 20" wheel recently. When we confirmed that the AP2 still has the staggered 20" wheel setup, they followed up with going with the same tires should not pose a problem--especially considering that the winter setup that they sell actually has 265s all around.

10. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

That's not correct for the MX. I just checked the Tesla store and the winter setups have not changed. The 19" setup is symmetric, but both 20" options are asymmetric. They are a mix of 265s and 275s.

11. SPtheALIEN

SPtheALIEN Member

Yes. They were mistaken. Hence why I showed them that I confirmed it was still staggered. But they didn't see a problem going square.

12. SPtheALIEN

SPtheALIEN Member

Also, I did mention that the winter setup is all 265.

13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

If I were you I would send an email to Tesla and ask for their position on that. The Tesla personnel at the showrooms (like Fashion Center, where you were) are well meaning I would not consider them experts on technical issues. Also, call the Miramar Service Center and ask to speak to the service manager, get his/her opinion.

14. Yinn

Yinn Member

I think he was pointing out only the 19" winter tire package is square. The 20" winter package uses 265FR/275RR

It's entirely possible the 19" come square because these wheels only come in 8.5" width and a 275 won't fit on it. A 8.5" rim really shouldn't be going to a 265 in the first place according to this rim width to tire width chart.

I don't think I've seen anyone track a Model X yet, but typically AWD cars are setup for understeer. Inducing a bit of oversteer tendency (tightening rear sways, tire sizes, pressure changes, suspension, etc.) allows for the car to pivot better in the corners. From a straight line dig/drag race, this would not be beneficial though.

It is interesting to note that I'm only considering the width of the contact patch, but I'm not sure how the overall rolling diameter would affect handling characteristics. There's also the staggered aspect itself to consider on impact on handling (Tire Stagger Strategies details this) For example, the winter setup reduces the rear contact patch by 3.8% but the overall rolling diameter of the wheel is also reduced by 1%. This revolutions are now the same, does this induce over or understeer?

Some good articles to read:
    Staggered Tires: Why or Why Not - Ben's Blog | Tire Rack
    Do I have to keep a staggered set-up? - Hunter's Ramblings about Performance wheels & tire | Tire Rack
    Stagger vs. Square Tire Sizes for Winter Use - Make Driving Fun with Performance Tires & Wheels | Tire Rack
    Tire Stagger Strategies

15. SPtheALIEN

SPtheALIEN Member

Thanks guys! There's a bunch of new information here. I will definitely send a message over to the service center to be sure.

16. SPtheALIEN

SPtheALIEN Member

Thanks for the link to the tire width chart. I might just get new 22x10 rims as it appears I can still run staggered if need be, or run 265s all around and run square.