Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing wheels to allow for all around tire rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Losing a little grip in corners at the back is about the only detriment I can think of. Maybe the look of having the rear wheels a bit more tucked under the car too. Would most folks notice either? Unlikely. Sounds like a pretty good idea to me. I'm now in for 2 staggered set ups though! :rolleyes::p;)

Here is my remaining tread depth after about 18,000 miles. I don't see much value in rotating.

- Measured tire tread depth at:

(Outer) (Center) (Inner)

LF: 6.5/32 7.5/32 7.5/32

RF: 6.5/32 7/32 7/32

LR: 7/32 7.5/32 7.5/32

RR: 6.5/32 7/32 7.5/32

If anything I need to run on very low suspension a little more to wear the inner thread faster.

• Informative
Reactions: goneskiian
So an interesting thing happened at the Tesla San Diego (Fashion Valley) location yesterday. I was chatting with the folks there and they all thought the Model X went into a square setup for the 20" wheel recently. When we confirmed that the AP2 still has the staggered 20" wheel setup, they followed up with going with the same tires should not pose a problem--especially considering that the winter setup that they sell actually has 265s all around.

So an interesting thing happened at the Tesla San Diego (Fashion Valley) location yesterday. I was chatting with the folks there and they all thought the Model X went into a square setup for the 20" wheel recently. When we confirmed that the AP2 still has the staggered 20" wheel setup, they followed up with going with the same tires should not pose a problem--especially considering that the winter setup that they sell actually has 265s all around.
That's not correct for the MX. I just checked the Tesla store and the winter setups have not changed. The 19" setup is symmetric, but both 20" options are asymmetric. They are a mix of 265s and 275s.

Yes. They were mistaken. Hence why I showed them that I confirmed it was still staggered. But they didn't see a problem going square.
If I were you I would send an email to Tesla and ask for their position on that. The Tesla personnel at the showrooms (like Fashion Center, where you were) are well meaning I would not consider them experts on technical issues. Also, call the Miramar Service Center and ask to speak to the service manager, get his/her opinion.

Also, I did mention that the winter setup is all 265.

I think he was pointing out only the 19" winter tire package is square. The 20" winter package uses 265FR/275RR

It's entirely possible the 19" come square because these wheels only come in 8.5" width and a 275 won't fit on it. A 8.5" rim really shouldn't be going to a 265 in the first place according to this rim width to tire width chart.

I don't think I've seen anyone track a Model X yet, but typically AWD cars are setup for understeer. Inducing a bit of oversteer tendency (tightening rear sways, tire sizes, pressure changes, suspension, etc.) allows for the car to pivot better in the corners. From a straight line dig/drag race, this would not be beneficial though.

It is interesting to note that I'm only considering the width of the contact patch, but I'm not sure how the overall rolling diameter would affect handling characteristics. There's also the staggered aspect itself to consider on impact on handling (Tire Stagger Strategies details this) For example, the winter setup reduces the rear contact patch by 3.8% but the overall rolling diameter of the wheel is also reduced by 1%. This revolutions are now the same, does this induce over or understeer?

Some good articles to read:
Staggered Tires: Why or Why Not - Ben's Blog | Tire Rack
Do I have to keep a staggered set-up? - Hunter's Ramblings about Performance wheels & tire | Tire Rack
Stagger vs. Square Tire Sizes for Winter Use - Make Driving Fun with Performance Tires & Wheels | Tire Rack
Tire Stagger Strategies