Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing wheels: TPMS, size,wight Qs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sk19

Mar 20, 2019
uk
I've a black model X on order and went for the smaller 20" wheels (slipstream I think they're called). I'm not sure if they're bigger at the back or not.

I want to change them to diamond cut wheels. Can anyone please help me with the following:

1) Are the current model X with 20" slipstreams wider on the back?

2) And if so do I ideally need to be buying the same staggered wheels or doesn't it really matter if I just go the same size?

3) Does the wheel width of the new wheels have to match what the TMX ships with? Will it affect handling/performance/safety if I get it wrong?

4) If I get identically sized wheels will I be able to just swap the tyres over?

5) This TPMS thing - is it something that comes in the wheel or the tyres. If tyres I suppose I'll need to keep the tyres. If wheels I shouldn't change then?

6) As the TMX is so heavy should I be buying a certain grade/strength of wheel so it doesn't buckle under the weight?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer any or all of the above!

The wheels are staggered, 265/275 f/r, 9/10 rim width.

TPMS are on the wheels, I have no idea how you set up third party ones with the car. With the 'official' wheels you simply swap over drive a few miles and it all just works.

There some reliable aftermarket options in the US, UK am not too sure. Just bear in mind its a near 3ton car when loaded up with people/fluids, and even the slowest is a sub 5 second to 60 machine. I would be very weary of putting any aftermaket alloys on it where the build quality is unclear.

A wheel failure is not something I would want to experience in a X when doing 70mph with family on board!!

Reactions: sk19
Thanks gangzoom,

To update the thread for any future visitors here are some other answers I've gleaned by talking to UK wheel stores and to the Tesla parts department.

1) Yes. 10" back, 9" front. Wheels 285 back 265 frotn (source: Tesla parts)

2) Best to go with bigger at the back but I'm not sure why (source: wheel store)

3) I'm not sure, vague mention of yes it's best to go with similar size (source: wheel store) but I'm not sure why.

4) Yes should be fine.

5) It's apparently part of the wheel and sites on the inside of the valve. Can remove it from my current wheels and place in new wheels but the adhesive won't be as reliable. Best to buy a new set of TPMS sensors and Tesla sell these for £50 each (source Tesla). Wheel place says they can sell TPMS sensors for my new wheels at £25 per wheel which should work fine with the Tesla (source wheel store)... however I'm sceptical that I can just use any TPMS sensor. I'm pretty sure I read something about 3rd party TPMS sensors not working well with Tesla.

6) Yes absolutely, but any wheel sold by the wheel store in question would handle the load (source: wheel store)/ I've also read about reading the weight per axle and checking the wheels can cope with that load (source: a forum post somewhere).

So I think I have more info but any new info/help would be appreciated

• Informative
Reactions: nixnexus
For #2 - I went staggered simply because the rear wheel well can fit a wider wheel. I went up to an 11" width (22" x 11") wheel. It's best to get wider wheels in the back since the rear will need it under acceleration, and most torque will be there.

#3 - It's ideal if you want to preserve the suspension setup.

#5 - just buy a second set from Tesla.

For #2 - I went staggered simply because the rear wheel well can fit a wider wheel. I went up to an 11" width (22" x 11") wheel. It's best to get wider wheels in the back since the rear will need it under acceleration, and most torque will be there.

#3 - It's ideal if you want to preserve the suspension setup.

#5 - just buy a second set from Tesla.

Thanks mate. As you went wider than stock did you have to get your suspension retuned?

Reactions: nixnexus
Wheel offset is a huge factor. This is where inboard/outboard wise the mounting flange falls within the wheel, any change to this or rim width and yes you need to have it realigned.

Far as rim strength people are getting carried away with their perceived specialness of the Tesla's. Large rims are likely built for trucks, average half ton truck in the USA the big market that will drive products are as heavy as a X. Absolutely verify the weight rating of the wheels but most stuff you will find will be rated well enough. That said cheap aftermarket stuff is especially prone to pothole damage, not generally catastrophic and the tire would be ruined too so not likely to be driving after.

Reactions: nixnexus and sk19
Staggered tires is not that odd a thing and with AWD is not that big a rotation concern. My last car had a full-size spare sized to the fronts and was staggered so the full-size spare was labeled as temporary incase you used it on rear.
X has no spare so no reason to make sure it is load rated to the rear.

To clarify some mistakes on this thread.
Rim's are 9" wide at the front with a 265 tire.
Back used to be 10" they are now 9.5" with 275 tire. Not sure when Tesla changes the rear rim size but it's been a while now. The rear rim and tire if put on the front will rub metal. Make sure tire shop puts right rim and tire in right spot. My tire shop had put my aftermarket 10" rim at the front, that's how I know it rubs metal.

Also make sure the rims and tires you get are load rated for the X. I know the tires arent many brands that make our size and load rating.

I bought stock size 20" rims from Tsportline Wich is a vendor on the forums and just swapped over the tires.

My referral for $50 off
T Sportline - Tesla Model S, X & 3 Aftermarket Accessories

Hmm,... Not sure in the UK, don't see why it would be different. We currently have 9.5" wide with 275 tire. The 22" rim uses a 285 tire, not sure how wide I don't have them.

Your best bet is to measure the rim or just check what is casted on it.ussually on the inside says.

If anyone in the UK can check I would actually like to know. When i was looking for tires I actually felt that the rears should be a 285 size. Seemed like it would look better. I wrote a posting a while back asking if anyone knew if 285 would fit so...... Any UK brother or sister can help would be appreciated. Actually checking not what the sales centre guy says.
Thanks

To the OP sorry to highjack your thread, kinda relates though

Last edited:
Well Tesla UK said the rears are 10" and 285 unless he was talking rubbish? Or not changed in the UK just the US?

The sticker on your door jam will tell you your wheel specs.

upload_2019-4-15_22-5-39.png

To clarify some mistakes on this thread.
Rim's are 9" wide at the front with a 265 tire.
Back used to be 10" they are now 9.5" with 275 tire. Not sure when Tesla changes the rear rim size but it's been a while now.

My 75D X was registered Sept 2017 in the UK. At that point anyways the 20inch wheels were still 10' rear, 9' front, I've just checked.

Things might have changed since though.

Regardless just make sure the new wheels are good quality, our UK roads are full of pot holes and BMW/Audi owner regularly report cracked OEM alloys. Where as I've not heard of any UK owners with cracked OEM wheels on the X.

46925395014_9e81436d76_b.jpg

46925395184_05e2d54220_b.jpg

Last edited:
My 75D X was registered Sept 2017 in the UK. At that point anyways the 20inch wheels were still 10' rear, 9' front, I've just checked.

Things might have changed since though.

Regardless just make sure the new wheels are good quality, our UK roads are full of pot holes and BMW/Audi owner regularly report cracked OEM alloys. Where as I've not heard of any UK owners with cracked OEM wheels on the X.

46925395014_9e81436d76_b.jpg

46925395184_05e2d54220_b.jpg

What size is your rear tire? Someone mentioned they are 285 in the uk not the 275. Would you mind checking?
Thanks