Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing wing mirrors (chrome to black)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
Hi,

I've got a 2020 M3P that is currently dechromed, and it's one of those "limited edition" cars that didn't come with dimming wing mirrors. As a long term mini project I've been looking into the feasibility of changing my chrome trim to the satin black trim, including the wing mirrors and cameras.

I've been able to source a brand new OEM left hand side wing mirror for a reasonable price. From looking at it there is just one connection to the car, a blue one.

I have the opportunity to buy a replacement OEM right hand side one, which from the photos I can see online also only has one blue connector connecting it to the car.

s-l1600.jpg

From what I know, on both US and non-US Model 3s, at least the early ones, the wireless antenna/receiver is in the drivers side wing mirror. This tracks with the fact that the service manual for earlier cars shows three connectors that need to be disconnected from the car to remove the wing mirror...

Screenshot 2022-03-28 at 17.02.14.png

I am assuming that if I remove my door card and find that I have three connectors here, because I have an earlier car, then replacing my wing mirror I'm going to lose something not having the purple and yellow connectors plugged in.

A Model Y owner I have been speaking to managed to switch the mirrors without any issue, and only had blue connectors on his original (chrome) and replacement (satin black) ones. Would it be fair to assume that Tesla moved the WiFi stuff out of the wing mirror to somewhere else in the car?

Just wondering whether I'm screwed or not...

Thanks in advance for any help provided :)