Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Across America(tv show)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Peelz

Budding EV fanatic.
Apr 10, 2021
SE Iowa, the armpit.
Last night I was just flipping through Hulu Live and came across this show, the name intrigued me. Sure enough, a race of EV's! Most notably NON TESLA. We watched it. Wife and I both proclaimed it was basically a Tesla commercial, just from watching the hassle these guys have charging, even sometimes using a mobile charging trailer!

Ill be damned if that Porsche isn't one of the most gorgeous vehicles ive seen, but I wont be considering another brand EV until charging networks aren't trash. There would have been ZERO contest with any of the current Tesla models in the race. LOL

The show though, enjoyable. Interesting format for the racce with a cool scoring system... I Recommend watching. (in a "make you feel great about your decision" kinda way)

The choice to exclude Tesla seemed rather outrageous to me. Part of the annoying "let's pretend Tesla doesn't exist" movement.

BTW: we have the same car specs. First time I've seen that.
Internet high five. the blue with white is stunning. Still in love lol

Agree. It would have been no contest. Watching that knowing nothing about EV's, Id come away with a seriously negative view on them. On the other hand, a Tesla "racing" across the country would be a bit boring...because its pretty easy LOL no drama.

Another series that doesn't seem to attention is the Extreme-E series. I love this series as it combines forces a lot of variety on the driver makeup so you get both sexes, equal driving time, and sprinkle in some big ass names like Sebass Loeb, old man Sainz, and some Americans here and there lol. The youtube vids doesn't do the series justice so try to get the high-res media.

Reactions: Peelz
Was it this kWs personality who sold his Mach-E recently because it sucks too much?

According to him, he sold the Mach-E because there is an outstanding recall for the glass roof panel coming off. Ford doesn’t plan to act on that recall for several more months, leaving him in the position of being unable to rent his Mach-E out on Turo, which was his reason for purchasing it.

Given the current high level of demand for EVs, him selling the car made the most financial sense. Why make payments on something that you can’t rent out when you can sell it for top dollar?

Last night I was just flipping through Hulu Live and came across this show, the name intrigued me. Sure enough, a race of EV's! Most notably NON TESLA. We watched it. Wife and I both proclaimed it was basically a Tesla commercial, just from watching the hassle these guys have charging, even sometimes using a mobile charging trailer!

Ill be damned if that Porsche isn't one of the most gorgeous vehicles ive seen, but I wont be considering another brand EV until charging networks aren't trash. There would have been ZERO contest with any of the current Tesla models in the race. LOL

The show though, enjoyable. Interesting format for the racce with a cool scoring system... I Recommend watching. (in a "make you feel great about your decision" kinda way)

The Porsche holds the record for the cross country EV cannonball run. So charging it can’t be that bad. In fact I took my Taycan 4S on a 3800 mile tour of the east coast and had no issues. Hitting 350kW charges is great.

A Porsche Taycan Just Beat Tesla for the Fastest EV Cannonball Run Record

Last edited:
The Porsche holds the record for the cross country EV cannonball run. So charging it can’t be that bad. In fact I took my Taycan 4S on a 3800 mile tour of the east coast and had no issues. Hitting 350kW charges is great.

A Porsche Taycan Just Beat Tesla for the Fastest EV Cannonball Run Record

A team using a 2021 Model S beat Kyles Taycan record by ~2 hours. It is now 42 hours and change. As more V3 Superchargers are deployed along the cross country corridors, the numbers should continue to improve. It'll be fun to see when someone cracks the 40 hour mark.

Reactions: Big Earl

Left unsaid is how long it took Gerdes to do the trip. Knowing him, he probably drove on frontage roads at 25 mph. 😄

I find it relatively easy to drive my RWD LR Model 3 at 5 miles/kWh at reasonable highway speeds. Doing the math, 2835 miles would use 567 kWh. With enough V3 charging stations @ 250 kW, it would take 2.27 hours of charging. Actually less than that because the initial charge is free. I.e., you'd start the run with a full charge, and finish close to empty. Someone like Gerdes could easily beat my 5 miles/kWh.