Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge %age level

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m in the same position. My commute (2-3 days per week) takes around 25% of the battery each way. No charging at work, only off street parking at home. Lamppost or source London chargers

I charge to 90% before my commute. Preferably the day before in case there are charging issues (eg iced or broken chargers).

I otherwise don’t charge for small weekend trips, up to 100% only for one way journeys over 100 miles.

Tesla supercharger for long haul trips.

9k miles in just over 4 months!

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I'm now a couple of months in to Model Y LR ownership with 1500 miles covered. Wondering what level people daily charge to? 80% or 90%? I don't have off street parking so the higher level would be helpful for me but only if it doesn't damage the battery in the long term. My day to day commute in and out of central London takes about 6-8% of battery and then we generally do longer trips at the weekend.
I generally set to 90% but I don’t charge daily and when i do, it’s always L2. I have done this for years now, and have seen very minimal decreases in range over the years. < 5% after 6is years. I don’t supercharge very much though

About the High Voltage Battery​

Model Y has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the high voltage Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model Y for several weeks.

From the users manual. Agree not much help for OPs issue.

I only use 10% in my commute so I usually charge to 50% then charge every couple of days when it gets below 30%. I aim to keep the car long term so I do whatever I can to maintain battery health.
You're certainly being super-careful! I think if I was working within a 20% spread like this I would go for 70% and then charge when drops below 50%. This gives you lots more range "in hand" when at the lower end and avoids getting towards the 20% area unnecessarily. At those lower percentages the car may decide not to maintain the low voltage battery. (IMO 70% is no stress, 50% is no stress, dropping below 30% is on the edge of getting a tiny bit stressy if you are talking ultra conservative battery management.)

Last edited:
Our normal is 80% - I think it's a pretty reasonable trade-off on long-term health and decent typical daily range (and headroom for unplanned extra driving), but everyone's patterns are different!

Our overall patterns are: mostly daytime driving, mostly during the weekdays, and we burn up anywhere between 25-60% of battery per day depending on our schedules. Given this, our "default" is to charge to 80% overnight every night. On days where we know the upcoming usage is heavier than normal, sometimes we set it to 90 (happens probably once every two weeks or so). Sometimes when there's a couple days of very light usage, we just skip charging for a night and get two days out of a charge.

On rarer occasions when we take long road trips, we sometimes charge to 100 before leaving the house within the hour. On the road on those long trips, we sometimes charge into the 90%+ range at superchargers if it makes the trip "better" (e.g. we wanted to stop at this charger longer anyways to eat lunch, or there's a very long gap to the next one), but more commonly we take Tesla's suggestions on those (which tends to keep the battery less-charged - just enough to safely make the next charger - which results in less time spent at superchargers overall because the battery supercharges faster at lower percentages).

Reactions: Adopado

I'd encourage people to post a quick summary when sharing a YouTube video. This video talks about an 8 year old Model S battery which now needs to be replaced after ~160K miles. The owner (James Cooke) kept his battery charged to a max of ~70% but ultimately his battery needs replaced, just after his battery and drivetrain warranty ran out. Most people on this thread will be considering newer battery packs with improved chemistry so not entirely sure how relevant the video is to this thread.

Reactions: GT_M3
I'd encourage people to post a quick summary when sharing a YouTube video.

Summary is in the screen shot. Just thought I would share and its down to people to draw their own conclusion. I did not want to add to it as not to be replied to. Like I said, drawn your own conclusions or make your own speculations. as I already posted on this thread before and said my bit. Im sorry if you disagree.

Most people on this thread will be considering newer battery packs with improved chemistry so not entirely sure how relevant the video is to this thread.

Most people is not all people and even "most people" dont have the same chemistry battery. Our new battery packs albeit newer are not made of fairy dust... Longevity will probably go to LFP battery pack owners imo :)

Just infotainment. No message there from me albeit from that chap. Did you want to debate the rest of my comment?

Not here to debate, just wondering why you posted a video which doesn't directly relate to the question raised by the OP. Or if you feel it does, why? What do you feel people should take away from this video as it relates to what percentage to charge your Tesla to? :)

Anyway, I agree with some of your earlier points that you should simply charge your vehicle as Tesla recommends. Don't be afraid to charge to 90% if that's convenient for you, avoid charging all the way to 100% except if you really need to (long trips etc.) I think people probably worry too much about mollycoddling their battery. I've driven EVs since 2014 myself, but the longest I've held onto one of those vehicles was 4 years. If I intended to "run the car into the ground" so to speak I'd still charge to 90% in the case of non-LFP Teslas because the benefits outweigh the risks for me. I recall seeing a graph some time ago related to expected degradation and the difference between frequent charging to 90% vs. say 80% was minor. I personally enjoy the performance of the EV, which degrades as SOC lowers so that's one reason I prefer keeping the charge high even if I don't need the range.

Last edited:
Not here to debate, just wondering why you posted a video which doesn't directly relate to the question raised by the OP. Or if you feel it does, why? :)

To be blunt here as I've been rather polite so far. It is bad form and frankly quite lazy to post a video without a short summary of the video or why indeed you've posted it. I'm still not clear why you did. 🤷‍♂️
This is just what you are doing...debating..... yet you keep evading.

Im glad you've been polite. You dont get paid extra not to... Im sorry you have to be blunt but Ive addressed your comment before.... Im the one that does not get it 🤷‍♂️

Well.... you'll just have to start again won't you? :)
The video was intended as pure infortainment and vaguely related to the topic. I expect such a disclaimer next time! ;)

As an aside I used to watch James Cooke when I first got into EVs and knew very little about Teslas. I loved watching his Model S adventures and he honestly made me quite jealous at the time as I sat in my Renault ZOE.

The video was intended as pure infortainment and vaguely related to the topic. I expect such a disclaimer next time! ;)
Thats what I said.... as to vaguely, that is entirely your assumption imo... it is factional hence no need for a disclaimer (no strobe lights ) but I'm willing to give to you as there is disturbing content unless you disagree ;)

As an aside I used to watch James Cooke when I first got into EVs and knew very little about Teslas. I loved watching his Model S adventures and he honestly made me quite jealous at the time as I sat in my Renault ZOE.
I gather he is not your super hero now then 🧐😬

• Funny
Reactions: EVMeister
I gather he is not your super hero now then 🧐😬
Nah, he can take his 2014 Model S and shove it u... 🤐

Haha, not really. He's still one of the Tesla OGs in my view and is allowed to voice his disappointments. Trying to keep his 2014 Model S going as long as possible is a noble pursuit, but Teslas really have come a long way since then as some of the comments in his video suggest. I'm looking to possibly buy a Model S myself and wouldn't want a pre-2017.

Last edited:
Nah, he can take his 2014 Model S and shove it u... 🤐

Haha, not really. He's still one of the Tesla OGs in my view and is allowed to voice his disappointments. Trying to keep his 2014 Model S going as long as possible is a noble pursuit, but Teslas really have come a long way since then as some of the comments in his video suggest. I'm looking to possibly buy a Model S myself and wouldn't want a pre-2017.
Yes they have come a long way but only as far a panel gaps go apparently. As far his "noble pursuit"... it was a financial decision as explained and made sense to me. Obviously his car is paid for in full unless he remortgaged etc hence we could agree that it is not a decision that "most of us" would make :)