Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge at Nissan Dealership?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the Volt, but also have the upgraded Leaf EVSE. I would assume it would work, but not sure if it would automatically limit itself to 16A. I dont think its rated for higher. So, at worst, you'd need to set the MS to draw only 16A.

Though not sure why you'd want to use it, unless you were forced, somehow.

I have the Volt, but also have the upgraded Leaf EVSE. I would assume it would work, but not sure if it would automatically limit itself to 16A. I dont think its rated for higher. So, at worst, you'd need to set the MS to draw only 16A.

Though not sure why you'd want to use it, unless you were forced, somehow.
Thanks. Well, that is it - I am sort of forced. I rent, the garage has no provisions for a 14-50 plug, and management is not interested in adding such even if I foot the bill. Charging the S is going to be a challenge.

When I had my LEAF EVSE upgraded, I opted to leave it at 12 Amps, as that is all my garage will comfortably support.

- - - Updated - - -

I have done so. Works fine. Draws 30A.
Thanks for the reply, but I wonder if we are talking about the same EVSE.

I am asking about the EVSE that comes with the LEAF - the brick, and what Nissan calls the trickle charger. Perhaps you are referring to the wall mounted AeroVironment EVSE that Nissan recommends?

The evseupgrade.com version of the Nissan supplied EVSE should supply 12 or 16 amps depending on which version you got. Not sure if the Model S will throw an error though since it may try to pull more. I suspect not though since J1772 plugs in the wild come in different amperage supplies and I would think that Tesla would set it such that it automatically goes down to available current. However, as previously mentioned, in worst case, you could just set the Tesla to only draw 12 amps to match the EVSE.