Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge based on original or current capacity ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 model S with 120,000 miles on it original range was 272 now I am at 252
So when I am charging do I charge to 80% based on original capacity or current capacity to try to be easy on battery ?
From what I understand today is to try and keep my battery healthy I should charge every day just what I need without going over 80 or under 20% or even now I’m hearing stay 7030
Thanks
Kdoh

The battery management system estimates total capacity, it's not a perfect measure and it will change over time. Don't fret too much about the 252 vs 272.
Percentage full has to be based on the current estimate of capacity, thus the 252 in your case, otherwise you could never reach 100% which makes no sense.

Upvote 0
The battery management system estimates total capacity, it's not a perfect measure and it will change over time. Don't fret too much about the 252 vs 272.
Percentage full has to be based on the current estimate of capacity, thus the 252 in your case, otherwise you could never reach 100% which makes no sense.
Thanks
thanks

Upvote 0
I generally charge 70 30. I notice range decreases somewhat (10 to 15 miles less than "normal") until you charge over 90% again, say, for a trip. The range then readjusts range up to a more "normal" range, at least for me. I think they are working on making the range more accurate than it is now.

Reactions: Cheburashka
Upvote 0