Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Charge cable fault"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
On my third day of otherwise happy new owner status, I plugged the S into the HPWC and repeatedly had red light at charging port and "charge cable fault" on the driver's screen. I reset the 60 amp breaker at the panel and now the car is charging. I imagine there is a thread discussing this issue but I couldn't find one that was on point. Any idea what is going on?

It sounds like the vehicle charging system detected a problem and did the right thing. Good.

I'd start by getting an electrician to look at the circuit and the HPWC. If that checks out then maybe it's a problem in the car — could go either way, but my hunch is it's the circuit.

Since it's only day 3 I'd chalk it up to user error, my first few weeks of ownership were filled with little learning experiences (e.g. optimal angle to insert the charging plug).

That said if the problem persists make certain to contact an electrician and Tesla. I had my UMC throw the same error message; tested it on a 120v line to see if it was a line issue or UMC failure but it appeared to have finally given up the ghost at the ripe old age of 3. Tesla overnighted me a new UMC and it's been working wonderfully since.

Tesla Home Charging said this is a known issue, probably correctable by a future software update. It turns out I did what needed to be done by flipping the circuit breaker although the button on the side of the HPWC would have sufficed. The tech said if this isn't happening often -- like almost daily-- it is not a concern. Fyi, it was not user error. I had charged several times without any insertion difficulty prior to this event, but until flipping circuit breaker I couldn't get green even after several insertions. All has been well since yesterday.

The tech did add that he was fairly certain the issue is not related to the install, which is a relief.

Last edited:
Tesla Home Charging said this is a known issue, probably correctable by a future software update. It turns out I did what needed to be done by flipping the circuit breaker although the button on the side of the HPWC would have sufficed. The tech said if this isn't happening often -- like almost daily-- it is not a concern. Fyi, it was not user error. I had charged several times and tried the insertion several times, but until flipping circuit breaker I couldn't get green.

The tech did add that he was fairly certain the issue is not related to the install, which is a relief.
I've had two instances where my Clipper Creek 32A EVSE reported "charge fault" and "power fault" errors (and the red ring o' death on the MS charge port), both of which cleared when I cut the AC to the Clipper Creek. Both happened on the current firmware (2.42.40), and were never seen prior to this. So there may be something to the "future software update."