Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Cable Removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it normal to be able to remove my charge cable while charging when the car is locked and my phone is not within range of the car? I’m using the mobile charger with the 14-50 adapter. I even removed my phone from being a key and I’m still able to push the button on the charge cable and remove it. I’m also able to push the button on the charge cable to open the charge port door when the car is locked and no phone key. Is it because the temperature is below 41 degrees?

Yes, as @jjrandorin says, the charge port doesn't lock in cold weather. It's definitely possible to unplug it when charging is complete and the temperature is below about 41F -- I've experienced this myself. (That temperature is noted in the manual.) I haven't checked on my own car what the behavior is in such temperatures when the car is actively charging, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was possible to unplug in those conditions, too. I've had my Model 3 for almost a year, so I've definitely experienced the change in its charge-port locking with temperature shifts. In the summer, the charge port stays locked unless the car is unlocked.

Yes, as @jjrandorin says, the charge port doesn't lock in cold weather. It's definitely possible to unplug it when charging is complete and the temperature is below about 41F -- I've experienced this myself. (That temperature is noted in the manual.) I haven't checked on my own car what the behavior is in such temperatures when the car is actively charging, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was possible to unplug in those conditions, too. I've had my Model 3 for almost a year, so I've definitely experienced the change in its charge-port locking with temperature shifts. In the summer, the charge port stays locked unless the car is unlocked.

Thanks, the thing with my situation is when charging is complete I need to wake the car with my phone connected to Bluetooth to get the charge cable to unlatch. But while actively charging, I can unplug it while locked and phone not connected. I guess it doesn’t really matter, I’m only charging at home in the garage.