Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Charge Cable Unlatched" error (charging at 16A only)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had this warning twice using the 14-50 in my garage.

Both times, the car was charging - but at a reduced rate.

And, both times, it was my fault - had not fully seated the connector - and by reseating the connector, the problem went away.

Maybe they could provide an audible signal (beep horn once?) to remind you to check the connector when this happens...

For now, I try to watch the dashboard to verify full charging, before walking away from the car.

I love you guys. I just got my Model S today, came home, and got the same error. Turns out the charger wasn't fully clicked into the charge port, even though at first attempt it really seemed like it was. Problem solved, car now charging at 40 amps.

:-D

At least on my Model S, you have to listen for two clicks and if only one is heard, push in a bit more to get the second click. Just one click will give the minimum 16 amp charge.

I've had funny symptoms when plugging into a Clipper Creek CS-90 and apparently didn't insert the J adapter fully into the car. Both the car and Clipper contactors started cycling on/off. I reseated the connector and all was well.

At least on my Model S, you have to listen for two clicks and if only one is heard, push in a bit more to get the second click. Just one click will give the minimum 16 amp charge.

OOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooh! Two clicks... I never listened for a second. Perhaps I need to push "harder." [sigh] Ok, I'll try that next. But based on what I am reading, I think that will end up being the problem, because I have the same symptoms as all the other people who didn't push hard enough.

Last edited:
Just as I was starting to suspect. I wasn't pushing hard enough. I am pretty surprised, because pulling out the UMC was pretty tough (even when it wasn't fully latched. Anyhow, the "two clicks" comment is what finally clued me in. I only recalled hearing one click. So, I went to try it out. I placed the UMC in the charge port as I usually do. I heard 1 click and had the unlatched error. So I pushed harder and harder, until finally a second click. Then the error went away. Now charging at 40 A as it should. I thought for sure that unlatching it after such force to seat it would be very difficult. Interestingly enough, unlatching is no more difficult.

Thanks TMC community, you fixed my car/UMC.

I had the exact same problem the first time I charged the car. The problem is the connector which fits in the car seems to not seat properly. You need to hold the connector and push it in from the top bottom and sides. You should hear a click. When that happens the" Charge Cable Unlatched" warning disappears and the amps go up to 40amps.