Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge cost calc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveW

May 21, 2019
Beds, UK
Been tinkering tonight, wondered if you guys think this is something useful?

I've only done the Model 3 section so far, but I'll do make it Model S and X compatible too and include more energy providers (getting figures from these guys is a hassle!)

Idea is, you put in your starting charge, desired finished charge and choose an energy provider to find out how much it'll cost to charge your car :)

Tesla - Cost to home charge by provider

I've done a manual input version before, but hoping this will be easier.

Let me know what you think and if you've got an excellent EV energy supplier I've missed (there definitely will be as I ran out of patience getting quotes!) then let me know

Reactions: Roy W. and Gatsojon
Does it factor in the charging efficiency?

Also, is it worth asking what sort of charger you're using at home? I only say that as I've on the granny charger for the forseeable.

It does factor in losses, but it’s based on a wall box rather than granny charger :)

I’ll have a think about the UMC option, not sure on losses with those though

Reactions: Roy W.
In answer to your original question, yes, I think it's useful. I do wonder if you could hide/mask some of the stuff, it's nice and tidy, and good for the curious... but if the use case is - how much will it cost to charge from X to Y... only the answer really matters. If it's to compare suppliers, or cars, then some of the rest is also useful... but it looks as though some of the info may be superfluous to the end user (though perhaps used as intermediate steps in the calcs).

On the UMC as you say, it just changes the losses, so if you have that in a single cell, and change it depending on the option chosen, it should ripple nicely through the rest of the calcs.

But yes, defo useful.

In answer to your original question, yes, I think it's useful. I do wonder if you could hide/mask some of the stuff, it's nice and tidy, and good for the curious... but if the use case is - how much will it cost to charge from X to Y... only the answer really matters. If it's to compare suppliers, or cars, then some of the rest is also useful... but it looks as though some of the info may be superfluous to the end user (though perhaps used as intermediate steps in the calcs).

On the UMC as you say, it just changes the losses, so if you have that in a single cell, and change it depending on the option chosen, it should ripple nicely through the rest of the calcs.

But yes, defo useful.

Thanks Phil, it's tricky to know how much to take out as it's not quite as simple as the charge cost, as it'll depend when you did it, unless you assume it's always overnight only

I'll give it some thought next week when I extend it out to the S and X about how I can at least make it look simpler if nothing else.