Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge cost with low mileage driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, charging during the night matters a great deal. You don't just add up the amps of all the circuits to see if you have enough capacity, rather your electrician does a "load calculation" which takes into account when various loads would be used. Unless you're using your electric range or oven or clothes dryer during the night you should be fine.

The key to happiness is installing something at 240V rather than 120V, even if it's only 20A.

If you do install a 240V 20A circuit, you could use the UMC 6-15 adapter which will plug into it. It is designed for 15A circuit so it only pulls 12A, but this would allow you to charge for longer hours without worrying about your electrical supply.

Or just bite the bullet and upgrade to 200A service and install a 14-50 outlet (50A circuit) and charge at 29 mph like most of us do. You'll probably find some other use for the spare capacity some day.

Thanks to you too "Texas". I am learning a lot from you knowledgeable folks!!

From looking at the on-line manual, it can indeed be configured to work on a 20A circuit (it can even be set for a 15A circuit in fact). Tesla — Wall Connector with 24' Cable

Click on "Wall Connector Installation Manual", go to p. 21; it shows the different amperages you can configure.
Bruce.

Here is a copy of the Amperage settings for the HPWC.

New HPWC amps.PNG

Thanks Bruce. Your advise has been very helpful. I'm still in a quandary about what to do. My electrician says I am showing 95 amps of my 100 watt panel already accounted for, so even a 240-20 amp outlet might cause my breaker to trip. If so, I'd end up having to upgrade to 200 watts anyway and pay a second time to change the Tesla outlet to 60 amps. I'm tempted to try the 240-20 first since I would be setting the charge time to a few hours in the middle of the night when virtually no other appliances would be in use [if that matters!]. Maybe I should go back to considering a Mercedes i.c.e.!

Blasphemy! :)

You have lots of options here. I hope we are not collectively overwhelming you with choices.

I notice you're located not too far away from me. PM me if you'd like to meet for lunch or coffee sometime and have a face-to-face discussion of some of this stuff.

Bruce.

Blasphemy! :)

You have lots of options here. I hope we are not collectively overwhelming you with choices.

I notice you're located not too far away from me. PM me if you'd like to meet for lunch or coffee sometime and have a face-to-face discussion of some of this stuff.

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce. That's a nice idea. The next few days aren't good for me, but thereafter....
P.S. just kidding about the Mercedes.......I'm sold on the Tesla.