Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Creep?

surfrasch

Oct 14, 2018
Hollis, NH
Been following all the posts about charge changes since V10. My charge also changed overnight after loading V10. Consistently full charge was 310 until the day after I loaded V10, now it's 308 to 309. Not a big deal compared to others, and yes I know it's just an estimate yadda yadda yadda.....its good, I'm learning all about battery capacity issues in these threads. But, I'm seeing another change:

When I set my charge limit, whether it's full charge or 80% roughly,....in the past the car would charge to my set point, lets say it ends at 250 mile estimate with slide bar set point. I leave my car plugged in my garage, it would stay at 250 for days if I didn't drive it. What happens now is, it reaches 250, then over time it creeps down.....might be 3-4 mile estimate lower by the time I drive it. I see this at full charge also....yesterday I charged full, .....it got up to 308-309, charger turns off, I go to drive 90min later, it's down to 307. It used to charge to 310 and stay there.

Not a big deal, just something I noticed that changed. Anyone else notice this?

• Informative
Reactions: UnicornDriver

surfrasch

Oct 14, 2018
Hollis, NH
just a quick update.....last night (Saturday) I plugged in, charged it to 255 mile which it got to by about 6pm. It's 4pm Sunday now, still plugged in, it's reading 251 mile now.

Strange ehh? No one else seeing this? It used to hold it's charge when continuously plugged in.

surfrasch

Oct 14, 2018
Hollis, NH
thanks, still creeping down, I'm at 249 mile now, haven't driven since late Saturday afternoon. Strange, I've never see this before?....but okay, thanks for feedback.

surfrasch

Oct 14, 2018
Hollis, NH
thanks, for sure my car never did this before.....if I left it plugged in, the charge level never altered from the set point.

oh well....car is great, charging a little confusing....

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H

tomas

Out of warranty...
Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2012
Santa Barbara/New York
FWIW I also had a VW eGolf, which had no battery management system and no vampire loss. No matter how long it sat, it would show same battery capacity. But each time you started it, it had forgotten everything: music stations, temperature settings... PITA. Worth $1 a day of electricity to have active BMS, settings memory, and connected car.

Reactions: Rocky_H

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
If I set my Tesla app notifications when charging is complete to "on", then I'll get notified several times a day that my charge is complete. Implying that the car is frequently topping up in order to keep its charge at the level I set. This also means that the range estimate must be varying a small amount to match the variation in charge. Assuming that the fallback before the charge starts is 1% SOC, then you'd expect your range estimate to vary +/- 3 miles.

toolman335

Oct 3, 2019
Rochester
First of all, I'd stop charging it to 100%. There will be very few times in the future that I will ever know if my car would charge to 310.

Losing a few miles in 22 hours doesn't cost $1. That is spare change for the peace of mind of the car waking up and being ready to roll.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC