Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Current Fluctuating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I’ve had my Model 3 just over a week and had a pod point 7kw charger installed a couple of days ago. The first time I used it I was disappointed that after 12hours I was only around 50% charged which started at around 20% which I got from using the plug charger for a couple of hours.

After looking around online Im sat it the car here. The Charge current days of 10A and I know this should be around 32A, but when I increase it 5/10 seconds later it goes back to 10A and then keeps fluctuating between 10A climbing to 16A before falling back to 10A and repeating.

I’ve attached 2 photos taken almost immediately after each other. What’s going on??

Attachments

• 76A9325C-3E42-47ED-A21C-E0086F85C797.jpeg
    76A9325C-3E42-47ED-A21C-E0086F85C797.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 487
  • 3CB9439B-47D4-4E53-889E-AC8837BF29E2.jpeg
    3CB9439B-47D4-4E53-889E-AC8837BF29E2.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 138
If the Tesla Mobile connector sees a large voltage drop, it’ll reduce the charge current. The worst case is that this is caused by a loose connection in the circuit, which will get hot, start a fire, burn your house down and cause ED. So Tesla is cautious and tries to prevent that. I agree with jjrandorin; call the installer back and have them verify their work.

You need to go back to whoever installed the "pod point 7kW charger" because there is likely some issue with that install that the charger is seeing, so its dropping down the charging rate.
Thanks. It was installed by PodPoint. I’ll ring them first thing Monday.
If the Tesla Mobile connector sees a large voltage drop, it’ll reduce the charge current. The worst case is that this is caused by a loose connection in the circuit, which will get hot, start a fire, burn your house down and cause ED. So Tesla is cautious and tries to prevent that. I agree with jjrandorin; call the installer back and have them verify their work.
👍🏽 I’m going to try and ask a neighbour if I can perform a test using there charging point. Then I can rule out vehicle and cable bring the issue.

Reactions: KenC
If the Tesla Mobile connector sees a large voltage drop, it’ll reduce the charge current. The worst case is that this is caused by a loose connection in the circuit, which will get hot, start a fire, burn your house down and cause ED.
While it is true that the cars can do that, that's definitely not what's happening here, and the evidence of it is in the pictures.
@bctomuk Notice in the pictures where it shows either "10/10" or "16/30"? That indicates where the problem is. That second number is how many amps the external charging device is announcing to the car that it has available, and the first number is how many the car is using. It's not that car safety reduction thing mentioned above, where the car is just lowering how much it's using, because that would only change the first number. Something is causing the Podpoint to glitch with whether it's announcing 10A or 30A available.

While it is true that the cars can do that, that's definitely not what's happening here, and the evidence of it is in the pictures.
@bctomuk Notice in the pictures where it shows either "10/10" or "16/30"? That indicates where the problem is. That second number is how many amps the external charging device is announcing to the car that it has available, and the first number is how many the car is using. It's not that car safety reduction thing mentioned above, where the car is just lowering how much it's using, because that would only change the first number. Something is causing the Podpoint to glitch with whether it's announcing 10A or 30A available.
Thanks. The pod point shows 10/10 then switches to 10/30 with the numbers increasing 11/30, 12/30 etc until it gets to around 14/30 then reverts back to 10/10 and repeats indefinitely.

I took the car and cable to a public charging point and got 16/16 from a 3-phase point, which I understand 16A is max and then used a 50KW supercharger. So must be the pod point. I contacted them 1st thing Monday but haven’t had a date or time confirmed yet.

Just to let you know Pod Point have been back and fixed the issue today.

It was caused by the installer fitting the current clamp to the wrong wire so the Pod Point was limiting the supply.

Thanks everyone.

Really appreciate you circling back and closing the loop on this. Many times people dont do that, and we are all left wondering "What happened?" lol.

Glad you got it sorted out, and welcome to TMC. Something else you might not have noticed about this website is that it is very large with lots of sub sections. one of those subforums is one specifically for the UK and Ireland.

Just giving you a heads up in case you are interested.

Reactions: blower
Really appreciate you circling back and closing the loop on this. Many times people dont do that, and we are all left wondering "What happened?" lol.

Glad you got it sorted out, and welcome to TMC. Something else you might not have noticed about this website is that it is very large with lots of sub sections. one of those subforums is one specifically for the UK and Ireland.

Just giving you a heads up in case you are interested.
Thanks!