Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Door Closing on j1772 adapter and not opening back up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my previous Model 3's, when the charge door closed on the adapter, the door would open back up so you could remove the adapter. Now, on my 2022 MYP, it closes on the adapter and doesn't open. I realize I can use the phone or touchscreen to open it back up, but I'm curious if this is now by design, or if by chance there is a faulty sensor that isn't opening the charge door when it senses the adapter is still there?

Reactions: Abraham
In my experience the charging port cover will attempt to close and if the J1772 adapter is still in the charge port the charge port cover will re-open. Else you can open the charging port from the Charging Screen or the Tesla app.

Here is how to ensure that the J1772 adapter is not left behind when you remove the J1772 charging cable.

1) Unlock the Tesla vehicle. If the Tesla vehicle was asleep this will wake up the vehicle. If not locked you may crack open any door to wake up the Tesla vehicle.
2) Press and release the trigger button on the J1772 charging connector. The light on the charging port should now be white instead of green (when charging) or blue (when locked, charging completed)
3) Without squeezing the trigger button remove the charging cable; the J1772 adapter should come out of the Tesla charging port as you remove the charging cable. (Don't forget to remove the J1772 adapter from the charging cable if this is a public charging station.)

Reactions: Abraham and jsight
In my experience the charging port cover will attempt to close and if the J1772 adapter is still in the charge port the charge port cover will re-open. Else you can open the charging port from the Charging Screen or the Tesla app.

Here is how to ensure that the J1772 adapter is not left behind when you remove the J1772 charging cable.

1) Unlock the Tesla vehicle. If the Tesla vehicle was asleep this will wake up the vehicle. If not locked you may crack open any door to wake up the Tesla vehicle.
2) Press and release the trigger button on the J1772 charging connector. The light on the charging port should now be white instead of green (when charging) or blue (when locked, charging completed)
3) Without squeezing the trigger button remove the charging cable; the J1772 adapter should come out of the Tesla charging port as you remove the charging cable. (Don't forget to remove the J1772 adapter from the charging cable if this is a public charging station.)
Your experience is what I’m used to, but it’s not doing it on my Model Y, ever. It’s quite annoying and I’d like to know if it’s broken. Perhaps someone would be willing to open the charge port, insert the adapter and walk away to see the results?

In my previous Model 3's, when the charge door closed on the adapter, the door would open back up so you could remove the adapter. Now, on my 2022 MYP, it closes on the adapter and doesn't open. I realize I can use the phone or touchscreen to open it back up, but I'm curious if this is now by design, or if by chance there is a faulty sensor that isn't opening the charge door when it senses the adapter is still there?
When I was trying to open the charging door with the app it wouldn’t open so I had to force it open will this break the door?

Reactions: Abraham
Same thing happens to me. I share the office charger, so it’s removed many times when I’m not available to release it. So the door attempts to close with the adapter in place and stays there. I have to manually release it so as to remove the locked adapter.