Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Door Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a 2018 LR Model 3 used from a private seller 2 weeks ago. Absolutely loving the car so far. However the last couple nights I'm having issues with the charge port door. it did not want to open yesterday using the mobile connector handle button, but eventually did. Charged overnight as usual. Tonight when I brought the car home, I went to plug it in and the door would not open. I tried the button on the handle, the touch screen and the app. I got on with Tesla support and he told me to pry it open with a credit card or similar object. I was able to open this way. Once I got it halfway the door opened fully under power.

I then went to put the charge cable in and it would not insert. I checked the app and pressed the Unlock charge port button. The charge cord could then be inserted. I stopped it a few minutes later unplugged and the door closed. Problem solved... I thought. The service advisor said they've been doing "a lot of recall work" on the charge door and locking mechanism on the model 3s. He suggested I schedule an appointment to have someone come to my house to look at the car, which I did.

After hanging up, I stopped the charge. The cable unlocked and I could remove it from the car. However now the charge door will not close. Trying to trigger the close on the app, or on the touchscreen, or just leaving it open to close on it's own does not work.

I think the magnet is missing on the door (see pic) but I thought this only affects the push to open functionality.

Anyone with similar issues that can offer any advice? Car is at 62K miles. Support guy said the motor was looked at once under warranty already. Hoping not to have a high dollar fix less than a month into my ownership...

Attachments

• IMG_20200609_222229.jpg
    IMG_20200609_222229.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 63
And I just realized that I posted this under the "Ordering Production and Delivery" forum, which was not intended, and don't see an option to delete or move. If the mods can move to main forum or battery and charging I'd appreciate it.