TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charge EV's with pedestrianss kinetic energy (with Tesla click-bait title)

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by jkliu47, Jun 24, 2015.

1. jkliu47

jkliu47 Member

#1 jkliu47, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  2. HeavyAaron

HeavyAaron Member

3. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

The same thing passed through my mind as well. I'm sure such energy could be captured but it would be highly inefficient. :scared:

4. markb1

markb1 Active Member

This looks like some sort of crowdfunding BS. (See the link in the description of the YouTube video.) Did Tesla really team up with these people, or are they just co-opting Tesla's brand?

5. green1

green1 Active Member

They're definitely just coopting the Tesla brand.

They talk about stealing your kinetic energy to generate electricity, problem is, that has to come from somewhere, if they gain energy, you must lose energy, I imagine this would be like walking on sand, you wouldn't want to do it for very long.

6. JER

JER Member

I'll be very surprised if that apparatus can even offset the passive discharge.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Here's a more efficient way to move the car: put it in tow mode, get behind car, push.

Yeah, you won't want to do that very long.

If 10,000 people walk by the car, I suppose you might be able to extract enough energy. But if you're sucking energy from their steps they're gonna start stepping over the gizmo rather than on it.

8. slcasner

slcasner Member

Depends upon what stepping on the gizmo feels like. When you walk on a hard surface, heat is increased in your muscles, shoes, and the surface (by a minuscule amount). If the gizmo is able to generate electricity rather than heat as people step on it, and if the feel is like walking on a softer surface rather than concrete, people might actually prefer it.

9. green1

green1 Active Member

For a step or two, sure, but not over long distances, and this tech only works if it's covering more than a few feet of sidewalk. hard surfaces use much less energy to walk on, so we prefer them. If it's "hard enough" that people will want to walk on it, there is no way you would ever generate a noticeable amount of electricity from it.

10. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Hooking up bicycle generators (which generate at about 100W each) at gyms probably is far more effective than this. This thing says it makes 7 joules per step at a power rate of 7W, so it will take 14 of these to match a typical bicycle generator. And bicycle generators are largely gimmicks in the first place.

11. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

I personally really enjoyed how the driver, at the beginning of the video, had to help the door handles automatically retract.

12. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

I think the solar sidewalk/bike path concept would be more efficient.

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I fixed that... and also fixed the title to indicate that this has nothing to do with Tesla Motors.

Also moved the thread since it is not actually Tesla news.

14. jkliu47

jkliu47 Member

Thanks Mod. Except I think there still is a slight typo error ?:)

I posted the link without comment. Perhaps I should have added my opinion that it was probably an 'April Fool's' joke in June.

15. green1

green1 Active Member

Exactly, if you want to get energy from sidewalks, solar is currently the best bet. It's not a very good bet in many parts of the world, but it's the best option if you want your sidewalks to give you electricity.

16. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

A stationary bicycle coupling is much more efficient than the sidewalk tiles. With reasonably efficient coupling, generator efficiency, and a reasonably fit cyclist, you can get 100 to 200 Watts of electrical power for hours. With that output, it would take 8-15 cyclist generators to to equal a single 5-15, 120V/15A outlet, or 50-100 cyclist generators to equal a 14-50, 240V/50A outlet. Another way to put it, is that each cyclist generator can charge a Tesla at 1/3 to 2/3 mph; just add them up!

I think we can do much better with solar...