Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge EV's with pedestrianss kinetic energy (with Tesla click-bait title)

markb1

Feb 17, 2012
San Diego, CA
This looks like some sort of crowdfunding BS. (See the link in the description of the YouTube video.) Did Tesla really team up with these people, or are they just co-opting Tesla's brand?

green1

Mar 25, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
They're definitely just coopting the Tesla brand.

They talk about stealing your kinetic energy to generate electricity, problem is, that has to come from somewhere, if they gain energy, you must lose energy, I imagine this would be like walking on sand, you wouldn't want to do it for very long.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
They're definitely just coopting the Tesla brand.

They talk about stealing your kinetic energy to generate electricity, problem is, that has to come from somewhere, if they gain energy, you must lose energy, I imagine this would be like walking on sand, you wouldn't want to do it for very long.

Here's a more efficient way to move the car: put it in tow mode, get behind car, push.

Yeah, you won't want to do that very long.

If 10,000 people walk by the car, I suppose you might be able to extract enough energy. But if you're sucking energy from their steps they're gonna start stepping over the gizmo rather than on it.

slcasner

Feb 20, 2011
Sunnyvale, CA
But if you're sucking energy from their steps they're gonna start stepping over the gizmo rather than on it.

Depends upon what stepping on the gizmo feels like. When you walk on a hard surface, heat is increased in your muscles, shoes, and the surface (by a minuscule amount). If the gizmo is able to generate electricity rather than heat as people step on it, and if the feel is like walking on a softer surface rather than concrete, people might actually prefer it.

green1

Mar 25, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
If the gizmo is able to generate electricity rather than heat as people step on it, and if the feel is like walking on a softer surface rather than concrete, people might actually prefer it.
For a step or two, sure, but not over long distances, and this tech only works if it's covering more than a few feet of sidewalk. hard surfaces use much less energy to walk on, so we prefer them. If it's "hard enough" that people will want to walk on it, there is no way you would ever generate a noticeable amount of electricity from it.

stopcrazypp

Dec 8, 2007
Hooking up bicycle generators (which generate at about 100W each) at gyms probably is far more effective than this. This thing says it makes 7 joules per step at a power rate of 7W, so it will take 14 of these to match a typical bicycle generator. And bicycle generators are largely gimmicks in the first place.

jkliu47

Apr 30, 2013
Glendale, CA
I fixed that... and also fixed the title to indicate that this has nothing to do with Tesla Motors.

Also moved the thread since it is not actually Tesla news.

Thanks Mod. Except I think there still is a slight typo error ?:)

I posted the link without comment. Perhaps I should have added my opinion that it was probably an 'April Fool's' joke in June.

Cottonwood

Roadster#433, Model S#S37
Feb 27, 2009
Colorado
A stationary bicycle coupling is much more efficient than the sidewalk tiles. With reasonably efficient coupling, generator efficiency, and a reasonably fit cyclist, you can get 100 to 200 Watts of electrical power for hours. With that output, it would take 8-15 cyclist generators to to equal a single 5-15, 120V/15A outlet, or 50-100 cyclist generators to equal a 14-50, 240V/50A outlet. Another way to put it, is that each cyclist generator can charge a Tesla at 1/3 to 2/3 mph; just add them up!

I think we can do much better with solar...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC