Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge *except* during a certain range of time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read a bunch of threads about starting charge at a certain time & also completing charge by a certain time.

But what I've not seen is a way to charge except during a certain block of time.

We have TOU tiered and need to avoid 4-9pm charging. Is there a way to exclude that block of time? I really don't care when the car charges outside of that range, nor when it finishes. It will be plugged in when not in use.

Any ideas?

If you don't care when it charges, besides those times, and you leave it plugged in why not just set it to charge after 9:00pm. This is what I do, as I am on TOU2. I plug it in whenever, and it won't charge until the night.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Because if I arrive home a few minutes after midnight, the charging won't start for another 9 hrs.

Sounds like I actually ~do~ care when it charges in the sense that I would prefer that it start ASAP, but not during the excluded time range.

Sorry for misleading ... I do care when

There is no way I am aware of to do that with the standard tesla app / tesla wall connector, etc.

you probably just want to set it to start charging at off peak pricing after midnight, and let it charge until it finishes. Having TOU rates is one thing that makes a case for faster charging at home (the fastest 240v charging you can get at home without doing any panel upgrades, etc).

You dont mention what model 3 you have, but an SR+ can charge at 32amps and a LR / AWD / P can charge at 48 amps. 48 amps is 44 miles an hour of range replenished. I have my car set to charge at 3am, and its done by 5:30 - 6am, when I go into the office, its 80 miles round trip (which is 100-120 tesla miles off my car).

Get some form of 240v charging if you dont have it, and set your start time to charge at midnight to 1am, so you can finish charging by 6am.

You might be able to do what you are asking with some third party tools, but I am not into those so I have not looked into it. You can also do it with some non tesla EVSEs (wall connectors).

Last edited:
We have TOU tiered and need to avoid 4-9pm charging. Is there a way to exclude that block of time? I really don't care when the car charges outside of that range, nor when it finishes. It will be plugged in when not in use.

Any ideas?
Yes, very simple:
just set it to charge after 9:00pm
Do that.
Because if I arrive home a few minutes after midnight, the charging won't start for another 9 hrs.
No, that's not true. It's listed in the car's manual about charging that the car watches for 6 hours after the set start time for just that kind of situation, if you get home late at midnight or 1 AM, and it will go ahead and run when you plug it in as if that is the start time. This is what I use, and it does this when I get home really late and plug in.

So that will do what you're looking for and is way simpler than trying to set on and off peak or scheduled departure stuff.

So that will do what you're looking for and is way simpler than trying to set on and off peak or scheduled departure stuff.
Thanks, I found the section you mention on page 159. Maybe I don't understand but here's a scenario.

My peak period is 4-9pm

Say I have a scheduled charge for 9pm which is after peak ends. I arrive home after a long drive at 3:30pm. Seems like the charging will start immediately since it is within 6 hrs of 9pm. Or perhaps it will wait until 9pm of the current day. Or perhaps 9pm of the following day. The language isn't entirely clear to me, so I will need to experiment.

Thanks for pointing out that detail. It may help me solve the problem although it seems like it would be simpler to just have a "no charging during these hours feature."

Thanks, I found the section you mention on page 159. Maybe I don't understand but here's a scenario.

My peak period is 4-9pm

Say I have a scheduled charge for 9pm which is after peak ends. I arrive home after a long drive at 3:30pm. Seems like the charging will start immediately since it is within 6 hrs of 9pm. Or perhaps it will wait until 9pm of the current day. Or perhaps 9pm of the following day. The language isn't entirely clear to me, so I will need to experiment.

Thanks for pointing out that detail. It may help me solve the problem although it seems like it would be simpler to just have a "no charging during these hours feature."

If you arrive home at 3:30 pm the car would wait to charge until 9pm. It will show it in the app (charging scheduled at 9pm). The "looks for 6 hours" thing is basically for "after" your scheduled time. So if your scheduled time is 9pm, and you get home after 9pm, anytime from 9pm till 3am the car will start charging immediately, because its within 6 hours AFTER the time you told it to start.

If you dont get home till 5am the next morning, it would not automatically start (it would display a message that it would charge at 9pm).

I have my car set to charge at 3am like I mentioned. I plug it in every time I leave and come home. The car always waits till 3am to charge (with a message in the app displaying it will start charging at 3am. If I want it to start sooner, I tap the start charging button in the app, and it will start charging immediately, no matter what time it is (because i just told it to start charging).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and RogerMc
Here it is in the manual. Model S one was all I could find at the moment, but this section should be the same for all models:

"If, at the scheduled time, Model S is not plugged in at the location, it will start charging as soon as you plug it in as long as you are plugging it in within six hours of the scheduled time. If you plug in after six hours, Model S does not start charging until the scheduled time on the next day."

That seems totally straightforward and clear to me. I know that it says "within", but that absolutely means AFTER, not BEFORE. So it says, that it checks at the scheduled time FIRST, and then if it can't start, it will watch for the NEXT six hours. So if you are talking about 3:30 PM, there's nothing going on, and it is still waiting until 9 PM. After 9 PM, it will keep watching for the next six hours until 3 AM to try to start, but after that, it will just wait until the next 9 PM scheduled time.

OK, thanks everyone I think it's clear what I need for my situation.

Here's another use case. Maybe you can advise.

Again peak is 4-9pm. Car is M3 with 53kW battery. Home charger is ~7kW.

My daughter visits and is welcome to charge her car. She will arrive at any time day/night and at any state of charge. I want her to be able to charge but not during peak rates.

What would be the best way to configure her charging at my location? I presume that the best option would be to schedule "departure at" 4pm. I think that would mean don't charge after 4pm and until midnight of the day of arrival. Sometime after midnight and before 4pm of the next day, her car would start charging at the appropriate time in order to reach the configured SoC by 4pm of that day.

Am I at least close on this one?

THANKS!

Last edited:
OK, thanks everyone I think it's clear what I need for my situation.

Here's another use case. Maybe you can advise.

Again peak is 4-9pm. Car is M3 with 53kW battery. Home charger is ~7kW.

My daughter visits and is welcome to charge her car. She will arrive at any time day/night and at any state of charge. I want her to be able to charge but not during peak rates.

What would be the best way to configure her charging at my location? I presume that the best option would be to schedule "departure at" 4pm. I think that would mean don't charge after 4pm and until midnight of the day of arrival. Sometime after midnight and before 4pm of the next day, her car would start charging at the appropriate time in order to reach the configured SoC by 4pm of that day.

Am I at least close on this one?

THANKS!

The departure settings dont work the way you (not you specifically, all of us as "you") think they would. People have all sorts of strangeness around that feature. The "simplest" thing is to simply set her car the same as yours, to not charge till after 9pm, and show her where it is in the car to set that up. Then, when she gets back home, she can turn that off (or, alternatively, leave it that way, because in CA 4-9pm is peak charging for many people, and charging outside that time is preferred even if you dont "have" to.

Reactions: Rocky_H
The departure settings dont work the way you (not you specifically, all of us as "you") think they would. People have all sorts of strangeness around that feature. The "simplest" thing is to simply set her car the same as yours, to not charge till after 9pm, and show her where it is in the car to set that up. Then, when she gets back home, she can turn that off (or, alternatively, leave it that way, because in CA 4-9pm is peak charging for many people, and charging outside that time is preferred even if you dont "have" to.
Yes we just confirmed the behavior you explained. Very disappointed to learn that "depart at" is wonky.

The challenge with my daughter is that she can arrive anytime and leave anytime.

Sad that the "exclude charging during time range" feature doesn't exist because it would be very handy in this case.

Hello!

Just seeing if anything new has happened regarding this thread. I too am in a TOU scenario that high prices are 3p-9p. I often times work overnight shifts, will come home at 8a. I want to plug my M3 SR+ at 8a and just have it charge in case I go somewhere in the afternoon, and I dont want to wait until 9p to start charging. So I will plug in and need to turn on charging via the app? Sorry just got the car today, so I dont know a lot yet.

Hello!

Just seeing if anything new has happened regarding this thread. I too am in a TOU scenario that high prices are 3p-9p. I often times work overnight shifts, will come home at 8a. I want to plug my M3 SR+ at 8a and just have it charge in case I go somewhere in the afternoon, and I dont want to wait until 9p to start charging. So I will plug in and need to turn on charging via the app? Sorry just got the car today, so I dont know a lot yet.
I would probably go for just setting a start time in the morning like around 7 or 8 AM. It will still pick it up as a start time if you plug in within some hours after that. (I think it's 5 or 6 hours after.)

I would probably go for just setting a start time in the morning like around 7 or 8 AM. It will still pick it up as a start time if you plug in within some hours after that. (I think it's 5 or 6 hours after.)
But I would want it to stop by 3p. Let’s say for whatever reason I come home at 8a, then head back out and come back at 2p, plug in, I would want it to stop after an hour due to prices. The only work around I can think of is manually stopping the charge via the app. Very annoying that this is the route tesla went.

Yeah that‘s what I am finding out. Just curious, any idea why they wouldn’t? I know you may not be a Tesla engineer but just curious. Maybe there’s a use case scenario that having book end timing would make things worse?
Tell you what, when you discover why it is 2021, and Tesla still hasn't implemented multiple waypoints into their car navigation, I think you may find your answer to that other question about charge scheduling.

(Hint: it's probably not because they thought it through and decided it would make things worse.)

Sorry if that is being too snarky and cryptic. I just mean that Tesla seems to focus their manpower and development on the drivetrain. And they do fantastic on that and knock it out of the park. But for things that should be simple and straightforward and helpful in their user interface, they seem to have this uncanny knack for taking a giant dump on their customers with messing up/removing/not implementing really obvious sensible features. I heard it stated really well and simply about Tesla as a company: They do the hard things well, but the easy things badly.

Last edited:
Tell you what, when you discover why it is 2021, and Tesla still hasn't implemented multiple waypoints into their car navigation, I think you may find your answer to that other question about charge scheduling.

(Hint: it's probably not because they thought it through and decided it would make things worse.)

Sorry if that is being too snarky and cryptic. I just mean that Tesla seems to focus their manpower and development on the drivetrain. And they do fantastic on that and knock it out of the park. But for things that should be simple and straightforward and helpful in their user interface, they seem to have this uncanny knack for taking a giant dump on their customers with messing up/removing/not implementing really obvious sensible features. I heard it stated really well and simply about Tesla as a company: They do the hard things well, but the easy things badly.
Hahahaah I like the statement. I told someone that today and they totally agreed. I guess that’s just the way life will be

How about just installing a mechanical timer to cut power to the outlet during the hours you don't want to charge. And just tell the car to charge whenever it can.