Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge from Powerwall avoiding the grid.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where did you randomly pull that stat out of? I guarantee you California is not even in the top 10 list of states for percentage of those living in poverty.

Edit: Yep I was right Poverty Rate By State 2021
This is where the numbers come from "Numbers in this article are provided by the U.S. Census Bureau, which uses data from the American Community Survey".

California has the largest population of Illegals in the country. Most numbers you can look up are from 2015/2016 and at that time the number was around 3 million probably more like 5 million by now.. 99% of those who are here illegally do not fill out the American Community Study questionaires for fear of being deported. Most illegals in every state are living below the poverty line therfore California has the highest number of those living in poverty.

California is a hellhole for those who make less than $100,000/yr and in some areas if you make $100,000/yr you are living like you were in poverty.

Hi all,

We have Tesla Solar Panels and 1 Tesla Powerwall.

We received our Model Y on Sep 11, 2021. We had ordered it on May 28, 2021.

My goal is to charge the Model Y from Powerwall avoiding the grid.

After some research, I changed "Charge Current" to "20 Amps" and scheduled Charge Start at "12:30" daily. I connect the charger to the car during the day.

Here is the picture from Model Y.

The main purpose of getting the Tesla Powerwall was for charging Model Y.

Please share your thoughts.

Thank you.

"planning" on trying to charge your model Y (which has a 75-82kW batter) from your 1 tesla powerwall (which is a 13.5kW battery) is like trying to charge 6 D batteries with 1 AA battery. Possible, but makes no sense to try to do.

With solar and 1 powerwall, you simply do not have enough storage to "avoid grid charging" while also running your home (again, its attempting to charge 6D batteries with 1 AA battery).

I am not getting into the "whether solar, or solar + battery storage makes sense" debate, because that depends specifically the power one uses and the utility rates where you are.

This is where the numbers come from "Numbers in this article are provided by the U.S. Census Bureau, which uses data from the American Community Survey".

California has the largest population of Illegals in the country. Most numbers you can look up are from 2015/2016 and at that time the number was around 3 million probably more like 5 million by now.. 99% of those who are here illegally do not fill out the American Community Study questionaires for fear of being deported. Most illegals in every state are living below the poverty line therfore California has the highest number of those living in poverty.

California is a hellhole for those who make less than $100,000/yr and in some areas if you make $100,000/yr you are living like you were in poverty.
Guy who buys 74,000 car railing against roughly 23k solar system post tax credits.

Cool, cool.

Guy who buys 74,000 car railing against roughly 23k solar system post tax credits.

Cool, cool.
I did not say I was one of those who can not afford solar panels I have them on my current house and had them on my previous house, The majority of people in the US can not afford to put solar panels on their homes. If they could you would see them on every house as you drive around. There may be areas where that is the exception but the norm is no solar panels.

Again in most areas of the country they do not pay for themselves in a reasonable amount of time and they can not unless you pay a fortune charge your electric car economically or quickly.

I did not say I was one of those who can not afford solar panels I have them on my current house and had them on my previous house, The majority of people in the US can not afford to put solar panels on their homes. If they could you would see them on every house as you drive around. There may be areas where that is the exception but the norm is no solar panels.

Again in most areas of the country they do not pay for themselves in a reasonable amount of time and they can not unless you pay a fortune charge your electric car economically or quickly.

It's not purely an affordability thing. Most solar panel systems take 5-10 years to breakeven. Many homeowners feel they will move in that time or shortly thereafter which makes it not worth it.

It's not purely an affordability thing. Most solar panel systems take 5-10 years to breakeven. Many homeowners feel they will move in that time or shortly thereafter which makes it not worth it.
Only in high electricity cost areas. Those who plan to move in a few years should pay for their systems upfront and not lease the system. If you lease the new homeowner has to agree to take over the lease or you will be forced to pay an inflated price for the system you thought would save you money.

Only in high electricity cost areas. Those who plan to move in a few years should pay for their systems upfront and not lease the system. If you lease the new homeowner has to agree to take over the lease or you will be forced to pay an inflated price for the system you thought would save you money.
Wouldn't the sensible thing be to not install solar if you know you'll move within 5 years?

Oh so you can afford it, you’re just here to tell us others can’t.

Cool story.

I charge for about an hour or two when needed, at the peak of the day. No draw from the two PWs I have, and only solar after PWs are full. 12.24 kW system. It's neat, but not super great. Good enough to get you through a tough spot. Otherwise, I just set my PWs to max and let the solar + grid recharge.

Solar is easy to break even. Recouping the costs of batteries (PWs) is the part that doesn't make sense yet. I got the PWs for emergency backup and to help break-even on grid power usage. More nerdy than anything.

Solar install for us was $750/panel after rebate. We maxed out our 100amp service panel with 4.7kwh (14 panels). It still is a positive use from the grid but minimally as it is currently.

Our kWh cost is 30-38 cents depending on time of day. Our ROI will be 4.5 years. To increase service panel and double the number of panels would have more than tripled the cost as our panel is out of code (too close to gas meter) and the service input is two houses down meaning lots of trenching.

If we use 100-200kwh per month from the grid, that’s not too bad compared to 700-900 additional that solar doesn’t offset.

The analogy of charging a 6v battery with an AA battery is on point. Only if it were between making it out of a bad situation or not would it be useful and even then it’s questionable at best. Battery packs just aren’t there yet even in the high electricity cost areas.