Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge handle issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone have any issues with the cable starting to come out of their charge handle in a Gen2 wall charger? See attached picture. Anyone know of a video how to disassemble these charge handles? I would like to fix it if I can rather than buying a new charger

Attachments

• 5865CA14-B690-41AA-801E-BE4B8EB913D5.jpeg
    5865CA14-B690-41AA-801E-BE4B8EB913D5.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 5AED6C49-9F6E-48A3-8137-74895A9F6F7D.jpeg
    5AED6C49-9F6E-48A3-8137-74895A9F6F7D.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 50
Given that this charger carries as much power as any other appliance in your house, I don't recommend messing with it. You may save a few materials and a few dollars, however, one mistake and your house or car could burn up.
Remember that the connector end must handle a lot of strain, high temps, low temps, be waterproof, tolerate many insert/remove cycles, and be safe enough to handle, all while carrying over 11 KW. That is a huge mechanical challenge and it will take serious tooling and procedures to do safely.
I recommend bringing this in to Tesla. It is likely possible to replace just the cable. I've replaced the cable on my Clipper Creek CS-100 J-1772 charging station. At the charging station end, there were some large screws to clamp down on the cable. I can't speak for the Tesla wall unit since I haven't replaced one of them.

Reactions: Darmie and srs5694
Given that this charger carries as much power as any other appliance in your house, I don't recommend messing with it. You may save a few materials and a few dollars, however, one mistake and your house or car could burn up.
Remember that the connector end must handle a lot of strain, high temps, low temps, be waterproof, tolerate many insert/remove cycles, and be safe enough to handle, all while carrying over 11 KW. That is a huge mechanical challenge and it will take serious tooling and procedures to do safely.
I recommend bringing this in to Tesla. It is likely possible to replace just the cable. I've replaced the cable on my Clipper Creek CS-100 J-1772 charging station. At the charging station end, there were some large screws to clamp down on the cable. I can't speak for the Tesla wall unit since I haven't replaced one of them.
That's solid advise. It is very possible that Tesla may offer the repair under good will.