Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge HQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heard Tesla Tom mention Charge HQ as something he's beta testing so went looking.
Signed up for it myself and just got access, hoping to solve the "charge using excess solar using only a Tesla charger" problem.
Anyone else here using/testing it?

Works seamlessly if you have a Powerwall. Not sure how well the 3rd party inverters etc work though.

I can see it adjust the charge rate to match the solar surplus.

I’ve been contemplating writing my own code to do this. It can’t be that hard but it wouldn’t be as nice an an App. I’d like to craft my own logic for when excess solar is used for this purpose and at what point it starts and stops.

Does Charge HQ only direct excess solar to the car if the PW2 is full? i.e in this App “excess solar” means “I am exporting power to the grid” not “solar is generating more power than is being consumed by the house (excluding PW2 charging)”?

Reactions: Hairyman
Does Charge HQ only direct excess solar to the car if the PW2 is full? i.e in this App “excess solar” means “I am exporting power to the grid” not “solar is generating more power than is being consumed by the house (excluding PW2 charging)”?
There are a few settings options including choosing priority for battery or EV

Attachments

• FF403FBA-AAEA-49C4-945A-121D5A171FC9.jpeg
    FF403FBA-AAEA-49C4-945A-121D5A171FC9.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 414
  • Informative
Reactions: Vostok and Hairyman
I was wondering how this system interact with scheduled charging. e.g. I have my car set to charge 0000-0400hrs on weekdays. If my Powerwall 2 is full and there is spare power going, will the car allow the system to start charging the car, or do I just turn off scheduling in the car and let the app manage everything (including the schedule)?

I was wondering how this system interact with scheduled charging. e.g. I have my car set to charge 0000-0400hrs on weekdays. If my Powerwall 2 is full and there is spare power going, will the car allow the system to start charging the car, or do I just turn off scheduling in the car and let the app manage everything (including the schedule)?
I’m not sure, but I did notice it has a setting for scheduled charging which has this doco

• Helpful
I've been using this for a couple of months and it's been great. I have a Fronius inverter and am with Amber Electricity. I do not have a home storage battery.

I have it set to charge using only solar during the day, but only if the feed-in tariff is 20c or lower. If it's higher then a) the grid is under significant stress, and b) it's cheaper for me to feed-in everything I can and charge at the 20c/kWh fast charger down the road. I also have it set to charge up to 25% between midnight and 4am without any other criteria but I don't expect that to be used very often.

2 weeks in and I love this thing.
I had previously tried to manually top up using excess solar but with the limitations of the Tesla app and the sun power keep changing it was rubbish.
No need for new hardware which I'd been considering.

2 weeks in and I love this thing.
I had previously tried to manually top up using excess solar but with the limitations of the Tesla app and the sun power keep changing it was rubbish.
No need for new hardware which I'd been considering.

Unfortunately my inverter is a model that's not supported by ChargeHQ, however I do run a solar hybrid setup with a home LFP battery, so I can usually get away with setting charging to like 10 to 15A during the day and just walking away and let the house battery fill in the cloudy gaps so that I do not use grid power. Works well if the car isn't too low on charge. It's a trip watching an LFP battery charge an LFP battery :)
If the car is really low I have scheduled charging set to kick in at midnight and my hybrid setup is set to not utilise the battery overnight so it uses off peak power instead.

ChargeHQ looks awesome if you have the supported equipment though :)

Car did not charge last night and ChargeHQ app has spinning progress wheel next to “Stopped”. Command to Charge Now has no effect. Solar data is updating. Seems like a connection issue with the car, not the Tesla account. Anyone else?

Update: unplugged and plugged in and app updated from progress circle + Stopped to Charging. Charger plug was well seated and car did not complain about the cable.

Last edited:
I downloaded ChargeHQ, but before I signed in with my Tesla account I emailed them to ask what security measures they have in place to prevent my Tesla account being hacked via the API interface. There was a report recently where a hacker showed how easy it was to access the Tesla App functions via a hacked password. I asked a week ago and haven't received a reply yet.