Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge initiation point when left plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious at what point below the targeted SOC the Tesla software initiates a top-off charge when you leave the car plugged in for a prolonged period (several days or more).

During my last charging session I set the charge point to 80%, the car charged to 81% and completed charge normally. Over the next several days the SOC slowly dropped as expected due to background load. It's now sitting at 77%. I'm a little surprised that the car hasn't initiated a charge to keep it right at 80%. Seems like it would want to keep the car within +/- 2% of the target SOC, but just curious if anyone knows what the threshold actually is.

For many years, when it was just the S and X, before the 3 came along, that was a 3% drop that it did before running a refill charging cycle. The 3 has had a lot of weird issues with constant recharge kicking on and off a lot, so I'm not sure if they have tweaked that value in the 3 and Y for some reason, of if that was just some strange software bugginess. 3 and Y owners might have more detail of what that is now.

as a data point, sometimes im home for 7-10 days straight and my car will sit plugged in and not move for those days. i always charge to 95%. i have level1 (16A) charging.

lowest ive ever seen it go is 94%. ill see this from time to time and its normal.

i keep sentry on 24/7.

As an interesting data point, I was sitting at 77% and wanted to top off charge to 80%, but there is no "start charge" button, as the screen and the app were still reporting "charge complete" from the last charge cycle. I even unplugged and re-plugged in the charger, but it did not start. Perhaps if I would have actually started the car it would have.

I did find a way to start charging though. I enabled conditioning from the app, and after a few seconds the car started charging while it was conditioning. I then turned conditioning off and the car completed the charge to 81%. So that seems like a little trick to jump start top-off charging.