Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Interrupted. Condensation in J1772 Plug w/Adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased Model 3 in November 2019. We have been using a Clipper Creek EVSE for three years prior to that, using Tesla's J1772 adapter for the Model 3.

No issues charging the Model 3 until recently. A couple of times, I noticed the EVSE was flashing a red error when plugged into the Tesla. Unplugging/plugging the EVSE made the error go away. In the past month, I've gotten three notices in the Tesla App that overnight (scheduled start 3:30 AM) charging was interrupted. The interruption occurred within the first few minutes of the start of the charge. On two of the instances (according to Teslafi) charging was restarted a couple of hours later and successfully completed the charge. This morning it didn't make the second attempt. In these three cases, the EVSE did not flash red error the next morning.

I examined the J1772 adapter and it looked fine. I looked at the J1772 plug on the Clipper Creek, and using a flashlight noticed tiny beads of condensation along the internal edges of the plug. I'm assuming this may be the cause of charge interruption.

Has anyone else experienced this? I live in SF, CA area. Temps last night dipped into the high 40s, with yesterday and today's temps expected to be in the low 60s.

How are you holstering the J1772 plug? (Using the Clipper Creek holster with the Tesla J1772 adapter disconnected, just leaving it draped somewhere without holstering, or something else?) Do you keep the Tesla J1772 adapter permanently attached to the Clipper Creek's J1772 plug, or do you disconnect the two after every use? Is the EVSE mounted in a garage, or outdoors? Has there been any rain around the time of these events?

If the EVSE (or even just its plug end) is mounted outside, then my first suggestion is to be sure that the J1772 plug is properly holstered. The Clipper Creek holster provides very good protection against the elements, which should help prevent moisture from rain (or snow, if you ever get it where you live) getting into the plug. I'm not sure that would help with condensation, but it might, especially if moisture were to condense on something above the plug and then drip onto it. If you're not holstering it because you want to keep the J1772 adapter permanently attached, then I suggest you either try not doing it that way or look for a way to holster the combination. I designed a 3D-printable holster adapter to help with this scenario. I've been using my 3-year-old Clipper Creek, mounted outside, with my Tesla since late March of last year here in Rhode Island with no problems. I suspect that the weather here is more challenging from a moisture point of view than it is in most of California, so it could be that this holster adapter is a key difference between our installations.

It's also conceivable that your J1772 plug is failing. I've heard of cases in which moisture seeps into them (and Tesla's equivalents, too) and does permanent damage. If you become convinced this is the problem, you'll need to replace the plug, or maybe the whole cable. You can get a Tesla cable from QuickChargePower, but I can't promise it would work with a Clipper Creek EVSE. I suggest you call to ask about this. You can get 40A J1772 cables, 80A J1772 cables, and J1772 plugs/handles from the same company (and from many others, I'm sure). I wouldn't recommend replacing any of this hardware yourself unless you're comfortable working on 240v equipment; but I'm sure plenty of local electricians could do it for you. Given the cost of replacing the hardware, it's probably best to investigate other solutions first.

• Disagree
Reactions: Wnuk
Take a look at Page 14 of the manual:
https://www.clippercreek.com/wp-con...HCS-D_User-Manual_V4_FINAL_20191108_LoRes.pdf

Your error is either
1 red blink: PEV ground fault trip. Check vehicle connection, disconnect and restart.
2-5 red blink: "Internal EVSE Fault. Disconnect from vehicle, turn power off and then back on. If fault persists, call for service"

The connection between the adapter and J1772 plug is not very weatherproof, so if that is your problem (1 blink) you will probably want to get a Tesla unit. Apart from wrapping it in plastic bags as a temp solution.

How are you holstering the J1772 plug? (Using the Clipper Creek holster with the Tesla J1772 adapter disconnected, just leaving it draped somewhere without holstering, or something else?) Do you keep the Tesla J1772 adapter permanently attached to the Clipper Creek's J1772 plug, or do you disconnect the two after every use? Is the EVSE mounted in a garage, or outdoors? Has there been any rain around the time of these events?

If the EVSE (or even just its plug end) is mounted outside, then my first suggestion is to be sure that the J1772 plug is properly holstered. The Clipper Creek holster provides very good protection against the elements, which should help prevent moisture from rain (or snow, if you ever get it where you live) getting into the plug. I'm not sure that would help with condensation, but it might, especially if moisture were to condense on something above the plug and then drip onto it. If you're not holstering it because you want to keep the J1772 adapter permanently attached, then I suggest you either try not doing it that way or look for a way to holster the combination. I designed a 3D-printable holster adapter to help with this scenario. I've been using my 3-year-old Clipper Creek, mounted outside, with my Tesla since late March of last year here in Rhode Island with no problems. I suspect that the weather here is more challenging from a moisture point of view than it is in most of California, so it could be that this holster adapter is a key difference between our installations.

It's also conceivable that your J1772 plug is failing. I've heard of cases in which moisture seeps into them (and Tesla's equivalents, too) and does permanent damage. If you become convinced this is the problem, you'll need to replace the plug, or maybe the whole cable. You can get a Tesla cable from QuickChargePower, but I can't promise it would work with a Clipper Creek EVSE. I suggest you call to ask about this. You can get 40A J1772 cables, 80A J1772 cables, and J1772 plugs/handles from the same company (and from many others, I'm sure). I wouldn't recommend replacing any of this hardware yourself unless you're comfortable working on 240v equipment; but I'm sure plenty of local electricians could do it for you. Given the cost of replacing the hardware, it's probably best to investigate other solutions first.

Thanks, I should have mentioned we keep it holstered in a garage when not in use. However, following Tesla's recommendation to keep it plugged in as much as possible it's probably connected more often than not. I should also mention the Clipper Creek is also used to charge a 2012 Leaf. Weather around here is typical for this time of year - raining or rain in the forecast. So it's always humid, and that could be a factor.

I'll continue to monitor the plug for condensation. It's easy enough to fix, just a few minutes with a hair dryer. We have to J1772 adapters, so I'll swap them out and see if that makes a difference. And I'm certainly springing for 6-50 adapter for backup.

Take a look at Page 14 of the manual:
https://www.clippercreek.com/wp-con...HCS-D_User-Manual_V4_FINAL_20191108_LoRes.pdf

Your error is either
1 red blink: PEV ground fault trip. Check vehicle connection, disconnect and restart.
2-5 red blink: "Internal EVSE Fault. Disconnect from vehicle, turn power off and then back on. If fault persists, call for service"

The connection between the adapter and J1772 plug is not very weatherproof, so if that is your problem (1 blink) you will probably want to get a Tesla unit. Apart from wrapping it in plastic bags as a temp solution.

On the two occasions I got the red blinking, I never consciously counted the blinks. I was too interested in making the blinks go away so I quickly power cycled the unit. On the two occasions it stopped charing overnight, the blinks were gone the next morning.

However, vague memory was the first time was a single blink, the second time was three blinks. If it happens again, I'll be sure to take note.

On the two occasions I got the red blinking, I never consciously counted the blinks. I was too interested in making the blinks go away so I quickly power cycled the unit. On the two occasions it stopped charing overnight, the blinks were gone the next morning.

However, vague memory was the first time was a single blink, the second time was three blinks. If it happens again, I'll be sure to take note.

Sounds like 1 blink to me. They are repeated, so it is really infinite blinks. You'd remember the 3 blink flashing better I think.

It looks bad for the unit, however. Why don't you just get the 14-50 adapter for the UMC (charger that comes with the car) and use that. You have a plug right?

https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters

I'd call Clipper Creek, they're pretty good about standing behind their stuff and would certainly help you troubleshoot. I doubt the condensation has anything to do with the problem.

I think the primary thing that they will tell him is that he needs to determine the error code. Once the error code is determined, they'd ask to call back. That's why its good to read the manual and only call support armed with the full info.

If you count the time between dialing, waiting on hold, expressing your issue to the rep, waiting for them to figure out how to respond, and possibly getting the request described above, that's a nightmare in my view.

He's three years into this EVSE (out of warranty) and now he has a Tesla and not a generic EV (I think, from the sound of the post), so its probably time to pull it out. He's got an outlet (I think) and the UMC from his new Tesla, so he should be fine.

I'm not sure if he realizes about the UMC.

Last edited:
I think the primary thing that they will tell him is that he needs to determine the error code. Once the error code is determined, they'd ask to call back. That's why its good to read the manual and only call support armed with the full info.

If you count the time between dialing, waiting on hold, expressing your issue to the rep, waiting for them to figure out how to respond, and possibly getting the request described above, that's a nightmare in my view.

He's three years into this EVSE (out of warranty) and now he has a Tesla and not a generic EV (I think, from the sound of the post), so its probably time to pull it out. He's got an outlet (I think) and the UMC from his new Tesla, so he should be fine.

I'm not sure if he realizes about the UMC.

Thanks for your help. I was planning to wait for another instance where I can see the error code. My charging is always done late at night, and the error/fault code seems to reset after a period of time. In honesty, I can't be certain it is faulting. There might be an issue with the adapter or (ack!) the Tesla itself. The Clipper Creek has been flawless before getting the Model 3, although that might be a coincidence.

We still have our Leaf, and will always have two EVs, with one being a non-Tesla (I'm working on my wife atm, reminding her we still have our Model Y deposit). So I still have need for an EVSE.

I am aware I can use mobile charger, and posted above about ordering a 6-50 adapter. At this point, this may be the only way to diagnose the issue. If I get another interrupted charge while using the UMC, I'll have a better idea regarding the cause.

CC EVSEs have a three year warranty, so it might still be covered, and I've heard of them helping with out of warranty repairs before this.

Reactions: user212_nr
Thanks for your help. I was planning to wait for another instance where I can see the error code. My charging is always done late at night, and the error/fault code seems to reset after a period of time. In honesty, I can't be certain it is faulting. There might be an issue with the adapter or (ack!) the Tesla itself. The Clipper Creek has been flawless before getting the Model 3, although that might be a coincidence.

We still have our Leaf, and will always have two EVs, with one being a non-Tesla (I'm working on my wife atm, reminding her we still have our Model Y deposit). So I still have need for an EVSE.

I am aware I can use mobile charger, and posted above about ordering a 6-50 adapter. At this point, this may be the only way to diagnose the issue. If I get another interrupted charge while using the UMC, I'll have a better idea regarding the cause.

With a red error code in the EVSE you are limited to ground fault at the car/connector and unspecified failure of the unit.

If you don't have more power available, you can split your 50A with a subpanel into 30A and 20A outlets. Should still be enough. Then you just need one charger for the leaf.

You still have 1 outlet so two chargers not yet needed. There is Tesla to J1772.

Or you can install two of the V3 wall connector with power sharing. Expensive though.

Last edited: