Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge [is this charging speed correct for my circuit at home?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the charge that I'm getting at home. Should I expect better? An electrician suggested I might want to upgrade the breaker and/or the wire running to the 220 outlet I use for my 2018 Model 3 Long Distance. Thanks.

Attachments

• Tesla charge.jpg
    Tesla charge.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 72
That’s exactly what you should expect from a 30 amp circuit. Is 7 hours for a +50% charge fast enough for you? If not, you might want to take your electrician up on increasing the size of your circuit. At the full 48 amps from a Tesla Wall Connector (60 amp circuit breaker and appropriately sized wiring), your Model 3 will charge twice as fast.

If you don't want to upgrade to a Tesla Wall Connector, you could have your electrician install a NEMA 14-50 receptacle on a 40 (or 50) amp circuit breaker. That will give you the best charging speed available from your Tesla Mobile Connector, which is 32 amps. If you go that route, be sure to buy a high quality receptacle like a Bryant, Hubbell or Cooper... NOT a Leviton from Home Depot or Lowes. See this thread for more info: Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

Last edited:
That's normal charging for a 14-30 outlet. you are only allowed 80% of the 30 amps.

If you upgraded the outlet/wiring/breaker to 40/50 amps you'd still only get 32 amps out of the UMC, although you could buy another (Gen1) UMC that would allow you to upgrade the outlet/wiring/breaker to 50 amps and it would give 40 amps to the Tesla

What do you really NEED for charging?

238v x 24a == 5712w. The display rounds to the nearest thousand. 6kw.

The charging cable used indicates what kind of circuit is available and the car set charging current to 80% of maximum so that it doesn't overheat the cable/outlet so that it doesn't cause a fire. This is electrical code standard.

But as Big Earl and Sophias_dad asked, is this enough charging rate for your regular usage? I lived on 120v 15a (12a usable, 1kw) circuit for over a month without any trouble. It's nice being able to charge from 0 to 100 in one night on a higher power circuit but it might not be necessary.

This is the charge that I'm getting at home. Should I expect better? An electrician suggested I might want to upgrade the breaker and/or the wire running to the 220 outlet I use for my 2018 Model 3 Long Distance. Thanks.

You dont actually say what you have installed at home. People are deducing that you have a 30 amp circuit because you are charging at 24amps. Whether you "should expect better" or not depends on what you actually have installed.

If you have a 30amp circuit installed, this is speed is correct, and no you shouldnt "expect" better. You may be able to get faster, by doing upgrades on the circuit, or wiring, etc as recommended by your electrician, but "expect better" implies that you think it should be charging faster than it is.

If you installed something faster than 30amp, then maybe you should be expecting faster.

That’s exactly what you should expect from a 30 amp circuit. Is 7 hours for a +50% charge fast enough for you? If not, you might want to take your electrician up on increasing the size of your circuit. At the full 48 amps from a Tesla Wall Connector (60 amp circuit breaker and appropriately sized wiring), your Model 3 will charge twice as fast.

If you don't want to upgrade to a Tesla Wall Connector, you could have your electrician install a NEMA 14-50 receptacle on a 40 (or 50) amp circuit breaker. That will give you the best charging speed available from your Tesla Mobile Connector, which is 32 amps. If you go that route, be sure to buy a high quality receptacle like a Bryant, Hubbell or Cooper... NOT a Leviton from Home Depot or Lowes. See this thread for more info: Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide
Thank you.

You dont actually say what you have installed at home. People are deducing that you have a 30 amp circuit because you are charging at 24amps. Whether you "should expect better" or not depends on what you actually have installed.

If you have a 30amp circuit installed, this is speed is correct, and no you shouldnt "expect" better. You may be able to get faster, by doing upgrades on the circuit, or wiring, etc as recommended by your electrician, but "expect better" implies that you think it should be charging faster than it is.

If you installed something faster than 30amp, then maybe you should be expecting faster.
T

Thanks to all for the info here.